Source citing

MoMosMoProblems

Aug 21, 2014, 8:37:08 PM8/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I just contributed my first game (Soundtrack to Mayhem).  I don't have a single source for the game; in fact, for each question, I used a combination of IMDB, wikipedia, and youtube to come up with complete information for the clue and the answer.  I don't know how I would cite those as sources, or if I should even try.  There wasn't one website or book that I could find that contained all the information for my quiz.  Of course, we all would like our quizzes to be featured, and I would like to know how applicable "It should include a valid source (if applicable)" is in cases like this.  Can I just cite IMDB, since I confirmed the answers on the Soundtracks sections for each movie?

survivor

Aug 21, 2014, 9:49:44 PM8/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the quiz-making community!  It's always good practice to cite a source if appropriate, but it's by no means mandatory in order for a quiz to be published.  If all your answers were confirmed on IMDb, so all the information is there even though that wasn't where you originally found it while developing the quiz, then citing IMDb would be a reasonable way to go.

If you really need to cite multiple sources, or if you want to provide additional information that doesn't fit on the quiz page, a good option is to create a Google webpage and place your information there, then link to that for the source.  If you're posting on Google Groups, then you already have a Gmail account, which is the only thing you need to create a page; it costs nothing and requires no knowledge of HTML.  For example, here's the source page I created to document various sources in a Gaming quiz:  https://sites.google.com/site/survivorsporcle/survivor-on-sporcle/games-with-geographic-errors.   I've had a few quizzes published where I documented multiple sources this way, so Sporcle HQ seems to be fine with this approach.

needapausebutton

Aug 21, 2014, 10:04:58 PM8/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I want to just throw in a quick note about the source of that source information:

Survivor's source pages are astonishing, thorough and utterly educational, and one can get as much out of reading them as playing his exceptional quizzes.

MoMosMoProblems

Aug 22, 2014, 2:32:24 PM8/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Wow, thank you for all the great information and advice, survivor!  It never occurred to me to use the one source I could list to link to an online document.  I may do that to provide links to the movie scenes themselves, at the same time as crediting imdb.

BTW, I loved the Sporcle-Man and Bonus Boy quiz, and I completely agree with needapausebutton.  Thank you both!

Brimtown

Aug 26, 2014, 12:33:48 PM8/26/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
One thing I've been doing in some of my quizzes is to use the first comment to list multiple sources. Just don't forget to use page breaks <br> between lines, otherwise it gets all jumbled up looking.

Here's one for reference: Journey vs Foreigner