Slightly off-topic but...

TheCleverone

Oct 14, 2013, 11:56:17 AM10/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I was going round the FIFA website trying to get inspiration for a quiz, and came across the predictor section, where the eighth-placed group on the leader boards was "Kyrgyzstan 2012". Now I know of one relatively large base of people who are obsessed with a certain Central Asian country, and that is Sporclers?
So I was wondering - is it you, reading this?
I'm not going to try to join you, or stalk you or anything, I'm just curious if it is, or if someone else shares our passion for a place we've never been to, probably have no intention of ever going to, and was only brought to our attention by its spelling!

RedBengalTiger (Funnyfavorer101)

Oct 14, 2013, 7:56:51 PM10/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean, 'probably have no intention of ever going to' Kyrgyzstan? Hasn't every Sporcler made it their life goal to someday visit this most wondrous of countries?

Quizmaster91

Oct 14, 2013, 8:39:23 PM10/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Well, it wasn't high on my 'to visit' list (apart from it being Kyrgyzstan), but I've done some research.
http://mein.salzburg.com/fotoblog/reisefoto/2012/11/issyk-kul-see.html
http://www.advantour.com/kyrgyzstan/issyk-kul.htm
This lake is their national touristic spot, but with 6,236 km2 or 2,408 sq mi, which makes it the world's 24th biggest lake, there should be space aplenty.
And yes, you can bring your swimwear because the lake is always between 10 and 22*C, whereas the air temperature is now a chilly 8*C (-2*C at night).
I'm thinking maybe host a Sporcle convention at lake Issyk Kul next year?

Mateo56

Oct 14, 2013, 9:16:58 PM10/14/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Issyk Kul does sound rather appealing, but for me it's Bishkek or Bust.

iglew

Oct 15, 2013, 12:49:14 AM10/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
If you'll forgive the pedantry, "lake Issyk Kul" is redundant, since "Kul" means lake.

Quizmaster91

Oct 15, 2013, 11:41:53 AM10/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
That's true. Forgive my ignorance.

TheCleverone

Oct 15, 2013, 3:28:09 PM10/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It would be nice to go to. But I can't say I'm too encouraged by the high crime against foreigners, the kidnaps or the dodgy airlines. But then, what do I know, North Korea is on my list of places to visit.

Amazingjosh Sporcle

Oct 15, 2013, 3:52:53 PM10/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I had a Chinese assignment about places I wanted to go, and I decided on Bishkek. After reading this, I may have to redo the assignment...

RobPro

Oct 15, 2013, 7:35:31 PM10/15/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My mate climbed 5 previously unclimbed peaks in Kyrgyzstan on the border with China, over summer which is awesome :D

TheCleverone

Oct 16, 2013, 5:18:46 PM10/16/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow, I bet that was amazing!