Help! Display options for 2 lines of text on slideshow quiz

Chair

Jan 2, 2014, 11:17:56 AM1/2/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
I recently created this quiz: http://www.sporcle.com/games/chair/30-maps-that-will-help-you-make-sense-of-the-world and I have had 2 complaints about how the multiple choice options display, and I definitely think the commenters are right - the display could be greatly improved. Each slide has two lines of text, and the bottom line is partially cut off by the picture scroller (with the arrows and the 1, 2, 3 etc.). The text appears more cut-off in some browsers than others (IE seems to work pretty well, Chrome is worse). Aside from typing the choices onto the images themselves, does anyone have any ideas/tips on how I might get both lines of text to display completely in all browsers?

The text is entered in the "Extra Info" column and looks like this: A) Follow the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights B) Use the metric system <br>C) Drive on the left side of the road D) Have a national law banning goat theft

Thanks for your help!
-Chair

Quizmaster91

Jan 2, 2014, 11:37:39 AM1/2/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Maybe adding <br> (or [<br> .] if there needs to be a character in the lowest line)  at the end helps, or is this not possible?

Chair

Jan 2, 2014, 11:50:10 AM1/2/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Good idea, but unfortunately it didn't work. The text box seems to be limited to displaying two lines of text, and adding a third blank line didn't push the other two up. (And if I add text to the second line so that it extends beyond two lines to three lines, whatever is on the third line is completely cut off/doesn't display at all.)

Quizmaster91

Jan 2, 2014, 12:17:34 PM1/2/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Then I've only got one idea left, which probably isn't the easiest one. You could put the text in the images themselves instead of in the text box. This way, you could make the text 'go up' by adding white space below it if still necessary.
But, as I said, this is possibly not the easiest method and it would be useful if someone could weigh in with more experience in slideshow quizes than me.

Chair

Jan 2, 2014, 1:23:04 PM1/2/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I thought of that too, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Chair

Jan 4, 2014, 9:40:47 PM1/4/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Bumping this in case anyone else has any ideas - I'm stumped here!

needapausebutton

Jan 4, 2014, 10:25:55 PM1/4/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@Chair:

If you want to keep the answer options as they are, all I can think of is to echo the suggestion of incorporating your text into the images.

Otherwise, if you want to avoid that at all costs, perhaps you can edit the length your answer choices, and perhaps reduce them to just three (A,B, and C) -- maybe you can get them all to fit on one line that way.  And, if necessary cut a few of them down to just two choices.

Or wait.

Apparently the second line of text being chopped off at the waist is a glitch. Although it seems likely it has been done by now (who can be sure?) you may want to report that using the feedback link. Who knows, maybe the engineers would be able to fix it?

Sorry I can't be of more help to you personally here :(

- pause

Chair

Jan 6, 2014, 12:37:38 PM1/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the ideas! I did contact Sporcle Support the other day after you suggested it, and today they said they are aware of the problem and are working on fixing it, so that's good news. I'll just be patient for now.

myitbos

Jan 8, 2014, 9:33:24 AM1/8/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

As others have suggested, when I had this problem my solution was to create images and present the answers within these images. Yeah its a ton of work for a Sporcle test.