Favoriting yourself

(Amazing?) Josh

Sep 9, 2013, 9:54:20 AM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
We all know why people favorite now, thanks to that wonderful thread.  But I'm still baffled why people favorite themselves.  It doesn't give you any QM points, and it clogs up the favorites page.
But, some people still do it.  I know I've done it once.  But that was for my first published quiz.

Anyhow, do you do it? If so, why?

Thanks,
Josh
Message has been deleted

Funnyfavorer101

Sep 9, 2013, 11:12:03 AM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Same, I think it's just that pride you feel when designating that your favorite game, even if no one will see.

On a side note, if favoriting/nominating your own game doesn't count, how come it does count if you give it 5 stars?

MovieGuru

Sep 9, 2013, 11:34:49 AM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
There was a time when number of favorites didn't show up as a statistic by your games, so some people used it to keep track of their games and how many favorites they were getting. And so now it's probably just habit.

Beyond that, it's a good strategy to employ, because when someone looks at your list of games, they'll see one extra favorite on each game. Maybe that's enough to get someone to play your game, or even better, an admin to potentially publish it.

Fusty

Sep 9, 2013, 11:57:12 AM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
5 stars is the same, because you can. I usually rate my games 5 stars because I don't want there to be a 1 rating and nobody else to rate it. It will increase it to 3 but its better than one.

Hejman

Sep 9, 2013, 12:04:20 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
As MovieGuru has already indicated, sprout and some other users keep detailed statistical records on their quizzes and use the favorites as a method of having another tracking tool/page on the site. It doesn't affect anything else on the quiz, doesn't affect the quizmaster points and, to my knowledge, has no effect on HQ's publishing decisions.

That said, I would caution folks about using SporcleU to 'call out' people for doing something, particularly when you don't know why they're doing it. It's inappropriate and impolite and, frankly, if it turns out, as is the case here, that there was a legitimate purpose for them doing what they're doing, then you're left holding the bag. The question could well have been asked without trying to embarrass or make an example of one of the site's most veteran users.

Amazingjosh Sporcle

Sep 9, 2013, 12:27:46 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
To clear some things up:

This post was not meant to embarrass anyone- I hope no one took it that way, especially sproutcm.  I had been planning to ask this question for a while, and today I came across sprout's favorites page.  Actually, personal reference was the first thing that went through my mind, and I was fairly certain that that was his purpose.

I used him as my example because:

A- He makes a good example of sorting his quizzes.  I do mine through an Excel spreadsheet.  He does his by favoriting.  As it has no effect on his quizzes, that's perfectly fine by me, and I hope other people are fine with that too.

B- This was not an example of self-promotion.  If I was accusing anyone of that, I would be enormously hypocritical.

I'm guilty of self-promotion a lot.  I rate some (not all) of my quizzes.  If I feel that they deserve a 5, based on the amount of time that I put into them, or the thoroughness of my work (I suck at that) I will rate them that.  I challenge people to the quizzes I make.

I'm not discouraging that.

C- I felt that exemplifying someone who was well-established would show that it isn't a bad thing.
However, I was wrong in not contacting him beforehand.

Looking back at what I wrote, it doesn't seem like I was writing correctly.  My choice of words was poor.  While I was trying to present this as an ambiguous situation for others to talk about, even though I knew some reasons behind it, it seems like I was trying to implicate Sporcle's greatest quizmaker of some wrongdoing.

The use of the word "baffled" in my post makes it seem like I'm acting like I'm the greatest Sporcler ever and I can look down on you. (And you, and you.)

Of course, this was not my intention, but the way I phrased it makes it look that way.  And I take responsibility for that.

I'm not going to delete my original post.  I'm not proud of it, but I wrote it.

Hopefully I can take reference of it in the future before acting rashly again.

Sorry,
Josh

Fusty

Sep 9, 2013, 12:36:01 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I was just curious. I deleted the post, my list of reasons isn't so extensive.

MovieGuru

Sep 9, 2013, 12:51:15 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Side note - sprout doesn't just keep track using favorites; he has absurdly detailed records in excel. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here. He just loves accurate statistics, so if there's any method that helps in keeping track of some statistic, he is on board :)

@hejman - I'm not saying Sporcle HQ goes through quizzes and says, "Nope, not enough favorites" and skips a quiz - more like something you don't really think about. Maybe playing a quiz on the user section and scrolling down to give it a 5 and seeing it has 2 favorites already, so you think, "Looks like people are really loving this quiz"

Hejman

Sep 9, 2013, 12:59:08 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification Josh. And MG is right, sprout's records are insanely detailed.

iglew

Sep 9, 2013, 1:21:46 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I will occasionally favorite one of my own quizzes.  If you read my contribution in the other thread about favoriting you'll know why.  I use to the Favorite function to keep track of quizzes that I like to play repeatedly every week or so, usually because it's something I want to work on memorizing.

Right now, I have one of my own quizzes on my favorites list.  It's is a poem that I'd like to memorize, so I favorited it, just like I favorite three or four other poem quizzes for poems I'm working on.  And when I'm done learning it, I'll unfavorite my quiz, just like the rest.  I think I may have favorited and then unfavorited other of my quizzes in the past.  It has nothing to do with ratings or self-promotion, just my play habits.

Fusty

Sep 9, 2013, 2:17:59 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
How detailed are these? My way of keeping track is by going on the create bit then the plays today part. I then have a small memory of how many comments I have on each quiz, and if I don't think it's right, I will have a look and see what has been commented on. For example, my current flags quiz (3000 plays) has under 30 comments, I know it hasn't hit 30 yet and when it does I'll see.

puckett86

Sep 9, 2013, 2:44:57 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Fusty: Just a suggestion, but you can have a list of your quizzes with new comments e-mailed to you either daily or weekly. You have to change your settings. It's a great feature.

Amazingjosh Sporcle

Sep 9, 2013, 2:59:37 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I loooove getting those emails from Sporcle. If I follow you, and you make a quiz, I play it the next morning from the email link. If you comment on a quiz, it's read within a day. I think it makes for a better Sporcling experience for all.

Fusty

Sep 9, 2013, 4:27:08 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I know. I want to stay one step ahead. I'd prefer it if sporcle sent emails straight away

skuban

Sep 9, 2013, 4:40:02 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure that's an option too, Fusty.

Fusty

Sep 9, 2013, 5:00:20 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It isn't. It's only daily and weekly.

Samantha Wiegand

Sep 9, 2013, 8:21:06 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I wish they had instant messages. Don't they do that for CPs, EPs, publishes, and 1000 play marks? If so, why not comments, etc.?

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Fusty <john_s...@aol.com> wrote:
It isn't. It's only daily and weekly.

stanford0008

Sep 9, 2013, 8:48:28 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I don't want to speak for the admins (but I will anyways). I imagine its because the amount of emails they would have to send out would be a bit staggering. For example, imagine you had a quiz such as countries of the world get published. This quiz quiz currently sits at 2,209 comments. That means they would have sent out over 2,000 emails just to notify you that one of your quizzes got a comment. Now imagine doing that for every user; the number would be HUGE. In the end it's just not cost effective to try and send out emails that often.

NYYanks

Sep 9, 2013, 8:57:33 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Stanford, completely agree.

I usually get 2 emails from sporcle daily (comments and new quizzes from people I follow). Then I also get emails for new followers, CPs, EPs, and publishes.

So lets just say I get 16 emails a week. I'm sure so many users have these settings, so you can imagine all the emails.

Also, if you have the button checked for "send me new quizzes by people I follow immediately", you could be getting 20+ emails a day depending on how many people you follow. Now just imagine that in a broad sense.

Daniel Hodgson

Sep 9, 2013, 8:59:36 PM9/9/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Isn't there an option in settings to notify you daily/weekly about comments? I know at about 8:30 AM (ET), everyday (at least all of them that had comments the previous day) they send me a list of what quizzes had comments and how many.

On Sep 9, 2013 8:48 PM, "stanford0008" <stanfo...@aol.com> wrote:
I don't want to speak for the admins (but I will anyways). I imagine its because the amount of emails they would have to send out would be a bit staggering. For example, imagine you had a quiz such as countries of the world get published. This quiz quiz currently sits at 2,209 comments. That means they would have sent out over 2,000 emails just to notify you that one of your quizzes got a comment. Now imagine doing that for every user; the number would be HUGE. In the end it's just not cost effective to try and send out emails that often.

Fusty

Sep 10, 2013, 1:52:51 AM9/10/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My quizzes are never very popular, and the highest comments I get are usually around 30. Surely for the less popular users it should be an option.

citkeane

Sep 10, 2013, 12:53:55 PM9/10/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
At one point I went back and favourited all my non-daily dose published quizzes, as I liked the thought of being able to see the pictures HQ selected for each one, even after they had long vanished from the front page. I haven't done it with some of my more recent publishes but that's MY explanation if anyone is curious (probably not).

Spacemaniac

Sep 10, 2013, 2:07:00 PM9/10/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
That's a good way of seeing the pictures! (I also like seeing them.)

I'm gonna go ahead and do that right now :)

Thanks for the explanation!

On Sep 10, 2013, at 6:53 PM, citkeane <citize...@hotmail.com> wrote:

At one point I went back and favourited all my non-daily dose published quizzes, as I liked the thought of being able to see the pictures HQ selected for each one, even after they had long vanished from the front page. I haven't done it with some of my more recent publishes but that's MY explanation if anyone is curious (probably not).

JoeBeta

Sep 10, 2013, 1:47:57 PM9/10/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I checked my own profile. I've favorited 34 quizzes to date. It includes 2 of my own quizzes because I definitely would have favorited them if they had been made by someone else. If I had a friend visiting me, and he wanted to know what Sporcle was like, I would show him the quizzes in my Favorites Folder which includes 2 of my own quizzes.

Fusty

Sep 10, 2013, 2:16:15 PM9/10/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My only publish has a picture of South America. As Sporcle TENDS to publish series at a quick rate and an Oceania version is out, I'm hoping that my second publish will be coming soon. Plus I have two new good quizzes to work on and a series to finish (and start up again when I reach z).