What I think is an odd how-to

lskl...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2014, 10:15:41 AM12/30/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I have an idea for a quiz that I don't think I've seen before, and I'm struggling with how to set it up, or if it's even possible.

It's a clickable quiz, and up to the twist it looks like one we've all seen: you're given a group with a known number of answers that belong to the group. So far so good. But what I want to do is for each group, at the end, to add one more option that doesn't fall into the group, but overlaps from OUTSIDE the other groups. But there are multiple possible answers for that last one.

The Venn diagram would be a number of non-overlapping circles, but they ALL overlap another circle that is, shall we say, off the board.

Simple example: let's say the quiz has two groups...animals with four legs and a tail and animals with two legs and a tail. And let's for a moment pretend that each group has ten and only ten animals in it, and so you've got there 20 options, each of which goes into one and only one group, and all of which you've got to select over the course of the quiz.

Now let's say after you've done the ten for "four legs and a tail" that I then ask "Now give an animal with four legs with NO tail!" And let's say there are ten of those, but all I need you to do is select any one of them. I've got ten buttons, they don't fall into either of the two groups, but ANY ONE of them will yield a right answer to the question. Call it a "plus one" where if the quiz taker knows ANY "plus one" that fits he'll find it in the options...the rest will go unused.

So I've done it where my "plus one" is just one data row with several options...but of course that doesn't work: the only button that shows is the first one listed.

I've tried it where I have one data row for each option of "plus one" (again with all answers reflected in each row)...but of course that doesn't work because it shows a question for each "plus one" option.

I've tried it where I have one data row that has all the "plus one" options...and I have data rows for each option but the first, each of them ee (so the buttons are there but there is no question). This works as far as the correct scoring...BUT gives wonky feedback when the quiz ends (i.e. only the first non-ee option is labelled as "correct".

Am I making any sense at all?