How do I make Figure-Out-The-Lyrics quizzes?

pupteen

Nov 20, 2013, 10:54:34 AM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey! Sorry, this is a really basic question.
I'm trying to make an FOTL quiz, but I'm having trouble. I've never made a game before on Sporcle before, and I don't quite know how to use the game creator.
My main issues:
  •  Players can only enter text in one field at a time, and they have to go in order. They should be able to enter words in any order, with correct guesses showing up in the proper places.
  • I don't need (at least, I don't think I need) a "hint" or "extra info" column, but I don't know how to get rid of them.
Thanks in advance!

Bazmerelda

Nov 20, 2013, 11:07:40 AM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pupteen,
  • To get rid of the hint and extra info column, go to the Game Info tab of your creation screen, and just delete any text from the 'Hint' and 'Extra Heading' fields. Click Save Changes and they should both disappear from the quiz.
  • To answer in any order, go to the Options tab and untick 'Force answers in order'. Click save changes again.
  • One final tip for lyrics quizzes - Go to the Style tab and set the 'Number of Columns' to 6 columns. This will just make the quiz look neater and more compact.
You can always post a test link in these forums if you want. Several users here have the ability to check the quiz and make sure everything is working as it should before you release it.

Bazmerelda

Nov 20, 2013, 11:13:19 AM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and one final, final tip - Go to the Options tab again. This time untick 'Filter default words (a, and, the, and '&')' and tick 'Accept single character answers'. This allows words like 'a' and 'I' to be accepted, and prevents words like 'and' and 'the' from being answered simultaneously.

Your options tab should look like this:

pupteen

Nov 20, 2013, 11:16:22 AM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very, very much!

TheCleverone (Erin)

Nov 20, 2013, 1:22:47 PM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
BGCollector is an accomplished maker of FOTL, I'd recommend you contact him for any extra advice you may need

DesertSpartan

Nov 20, 2013, 2:04:22 PM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I will add a few more things, first do all the things that Bazmerelda advised.

Also, post a link to where you got the lyrics from.

Add alternate answers when needed, this can be done by putting a / after the correct answer. The reason for this is if a number is used, it is protocol to accept it as both written or numeric, or if  words like 'bout or 'round are used instead of about or around, it is usually Sporcle convention to accept it both ways.

It is also often best to add color to your columns.  That also happens on the style page.

If you would like, before you launch your game, I would be happy to check it out and I am sure BGCollector would as well.

Just send us the test link and/or post it here.

My e-mail is exten...@msn.com

Bazmerelda

Nov 20, 2013, 2:27:12 PM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if Pupteen is still actively following this thread, but I know that their quiz, and a sequel to it, have already been released.

The links are here and here, so if anyone has any specific feedback, they can just leave a comment on the quizzes now. It might help if you have knowledge of Adventure Time songs (which I don't), but at a cursory glance the structure of the quizzes seems fine.

Rich Milligan

Nov 20, 2013, 3:47:08 PM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

My ears are burning!

I think you guys got most of the points covered. The only thing I would have added is the adding of the FOTL tag but seeing as Pupteen had that covered as well I might as well just get the kettle on J

Cheers all

BGC

BGCollector

Curator for Figure out the Lyrics

Visit my profile page here and check my quizzes here

iglew

Nov 20, 2013, 6:05:47 PM11/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
One other thing I would suggest, for any lyrics quiz:  Don't automatically assume that the lyrics you copy from a page on the Web are accurate.  Most content on lyrics sites is filled in by ordinary people and unscreened by any editing process. Many of them are accurate, but others are riddled with errors.

Best is if you can find a definitive source like lyrics printed on a CD sleeve, book, or printed music.  (But note that some sheet music found on the Web is also amateur-made and unreliable.)  Lacking that, you should check a couple different lyrics pages for consistency and/or listen to the recording yourself.