Not staying logged-in

Charging Tiger

Sep 12, 2015, 2:01:52 PM9/12/15
to Sporcle University
I've noticed for the past few days that whenever I open the Sporcle website for the first time in a given day, I have to log myself back in, despite the fact that the 'remember me' box is checked. This was not an issue previously. Has anyone else had this problem?

mchoeven

Sep 13, 2015, 3:15:13 AM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
Since today same problem for me. Login; close browser without logging out; come back and I'm logged out. Wasn't a problem before.
I set my temp files to get deleted when I close my browser, but the cookies stay.

JoeBeta

Sep 13, 2015, 11:28:32 AM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
I didn't have this problem until an hour ago. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 so I have my own share of problems which I'm chipping away at. However my Internet Explorer did remember my Sporcle password. However (again) I logged off of Sporcle an hour ago, and now Internet Explorer will not remember my password any more. I have to enter it over and over. However (again again) Google Chrome does remember my password. Will it remember my password if I log off? Do I want to risk Google Chrome forgetting it forever by logging off? (sigh) ... Okay, I logged off of Sporcle in Google Chrome, and now Google Chrome is forcing me to log on every time I go to Sporcle. Google Chrome does remember my password. It just forces me to log in again when before whenever I went to any Sporcle page, I was automatically logged in.

Cryptus

Sep 13, 2015, 12:02:56 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
Yeah, I've been having this problem since Monday (7th).

John O'Brien

Sep 13, 2015, 3:20:03 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
We'll start investigating this.  For anyone who's having this problem, can you let us know what Browser (including version #) and OS you're using?  And also let us know if you can reproduce it every single time, or if it's somewhat sporadic.

Thanks,
John

JoeBeta

Sep 13, 2015, 4:51:54 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
@John O'Brien - Windows 10 Operating System. It happens every single time in Internet Explorer 11 Version 11.0.10240.16431 and in Google Chrome Version 45.0.2454.85m . Sporcle is the only web site where I now have this problem. Other web sites (AOL & Google) still log me in automatically. Thanks for your attention.

Maverick2014

Sep 13, 2015, 6:09:56 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University

Started today for me, no system changes or browser updates in at least a month, so it's definitely something on Sporcle's end.

Win 7 64 Pro
Firefox 29.0.1
Chrome 45.0.2454.85

Not sporadic. Reproduces 100% across bother browsers.

zalkon2004

Sep 13, 2015, 6:15:13 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
Same, sent Sporcle an email about this the other day. Just sent another with my info.

Mateo56

Sep 13, 2015, 7:07:32 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
Mac OS X Yosemite
Firefox 40.0.3

John O'Brien

Sep 13, 2015, 7:16:18 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
Ok, great.  Thanks everyone, that's very helpful.

This isn't something that we've seen yet at Sporcle HQ but it certainly does sound like it's something on our end.  We'll do some investigating and see if we can figure out what's causing it.

John O'Brien

Sep 13, 2015, 7:20:13 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
Note: By "not seen yet", I mean that we haven't reproduced it in-house yet.  We have gotten a couple reports of it coming in via feedback like zalkon2004 mentioned.  Didn't want it to sound like those reports were ignored, in case it came across that way.

Thanks,
John

mchoeven

Sep 13, 2015, 11:56:11 PM9/13/15
to Sporcle University
Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18015

Comparing the current sporcle cookie with a backupfile I noticed that the sporid key is no longer set. This is where the username is stored.
Spuid and G_ENABLED_IDPS keys are set as before.

midge96

Sep 14, 2015, 1:42:54 PM9/14/15
to Sporcle University
On my laptop (windows 8, chrome) it's fine. However on my phone (android 5.0.2, chrome) it's logging me out every time so far.

Cryptus

Sep 14, 2015, 2:03:36 PM9/14/15
to Sporcle University
Windows 7, Chrome 45.0.2454.85 m. Also happens on my iPod Touch 5th gen, iOS 8.4.1

John O'Brien

Sep 14, 2015, 6:26:50 PM9/14/15
to Sporcle University
Alright, we did indeed have a bug with the cookie, and we figured out why it wasn't happening for everyone but only in certain cases.  We just pushed out a fix for it, everything should be working correctly now.  Note that you must log out and log back in for the fix to take effect.

If anyone is still seeing the issue after logging out and logging back in, please let us know.

Thanks!
John

JoeBeta

Sep 14, 2015, 7:52:31 PM9/14/15
to Sporcle University
I'm back to normal. Thanks, John.

mchoeven

Sep 15, 2015, 12:21:49 AM9/15/15
to Sporcle University
Everything is ok here :) Thanks!

Charging Tiger

Sep 15, 2015, 4:50:54 PM9/15/15
to Sporcle University
Warren Harding would be pleased to know that I have experienced a return to normalcy! Thanks, admins!

John O'Brien

Sep 15, 2015, 6:43:29 PM9/15/15
to Sporcle University
Awesome, glad everyone seems to be fixed now.  Thanks for letting us know!