Newsletter #30--Helping One of Our Own

SponsoraGuineaPig

May 3, 2011, 6:18:34 PM5/3/11
to sponsor-a-...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Many of you have already seen the debut of May--whether it be on boards, Facebook, or on Twitter, Marsha Weaver's story has captured the hearts of the guinea pig, rat, and animal loving community in general.

If you're not familiar with her story, please visit this blog for an excellent summary: http://dianastaresinicdeane.wordpress.com/ . In brief, her home was destroyed, and many of her pets killed, in a tornado in AL, United States.

When I heard about the tragedy that had occurred to Marsha Weaver, a frequent contributer to SAGP, I knew that I had to do something, and that because of SAGP, I was blessed with a platform to help counteract the enormous change that had occurred in her life.

It started with a post, and a goal of $1,000. I was so worried we wouldn't make it. Sometimes it's a strain to raise $300. Times are so tough right now. Some months even I can't donate to the pigs we feature--it all goes to rent, or my own pets.

At first we received $30. Then $25. Then my inbox was filling up so fast, I had to enlist help for thank you notes. I would go to bed and wake up to dozens of donations.

Now we have raised over $10,000. Almost $11,000. All in six days. The animal rescue community never ceases to amaze me--we may fight, but when someone is in need it's all hands on deck.

We are $72.31 away from having reached $10k in paypal (we've received almost $1k alone in checks), meaning our fees will be lowered. I am so hopeful that this newsletter will help us bridge that gap.

Please visit http://sponsoraguineapig.blogspot.com/ , and see my posts on Marsha. There is a donate button, please use it if you're able.

In the third post down, there are links to ongoing updates, avatars you can post on FB to help get the word out, and paintings you can bid on to help raise funds.

Thank you all for your unity during this dark time in an SAGP member's life. We are all linked by a love for animals. Now we are linked by even more.

Cheers to you,
Shevaun Brannigan