Facebook Integration

Doug Kaye

Jul 7, 2009, 11:09:54 AM7/7/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com, itc-pr...@googlegroups.com
Integration of Facebook Connect with SpokenWord.org is about 2/3
complete -- enough that you can use it.

Even though all of you already have usernames/passwords for the site,
please take a moment to try logging in with your Facebook ID. Just
logout (if necessary) click the Login link then follow the Facebook
path.

Does it work? Intuitive enough?

Still to come:
* Logout (of Facebook; harder than it should be)
* De-activating Facebook association (You can do that from Facebook
for now)
* Cancel buttons throughout the process
* Better Acknowledgment pages
* Management of Facebook association on our profile-editor page
* Better visibility on the Facebook site

And if you have any thoughts on that last item, pass them on. For
example,
* Whenever you (manually) add a feed or program, show it on your FB
Wall
* ??

Thanks again.

...doug

Doug Kaye, Executive Director
The Conversations Network
A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit
do...@rds.com
v: 415.453.1400
twitter: dougkaye
facebook.com/doug.kaye

Tod Mahony

Jul 7, 2009, 11:28:52 AM7/7/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting the following message after entering my Facebook credentials:

"Notice: Undefined property: Fbconnect_map::$memberId in /var/www/haystack/components/login-facebook.page.php on line 68"
at which point I remain logged out.

Doug Kaye

Jul 7, 2009, 12:22:30 PM7/7/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Oops. I forgot the final test of the simplest case. Should be okay now.

Thanks, Tod.

...doug

robtbrodie

Jul 9, 2009, 3:35:25 AM7/9/09
to SpokenWord.org-Strategy

On Jul 8, 12:09 am, Doug Kaye <d...@rds.com> wrote:
> Integration of Facebook Connect with SpokenWord.org is about 2/3
> complete -- enough that you can use it.
>
> Even though all of you already have usernames/passwords for the site,
> please take a moment to try logging in with your Facebook ID. Just
> logout (if necessary) click the Login link then follow the Facebook
> path.
>
> Does it work? Intuitive enough?

It works. Very easily. (As long as I allow unourthorised cookies)

Ken Kennedy

Jul 9, 2009, 10:42:25 PM7/9/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
I've logged in and out, no major issues. That being said; I really
dislike the opacity of Facebook Connect. What info did I provide you?
Not that I don't trust you, Doug, but I hate the lack of information
that the FB Connect experience provides. I've seen FB apps
automatically spam people's friends lists, etc. Again, I don't expect
you're doing that, but what are you planning on accessing FB info, or
literally just using it for login support?
--
Ken Kennedy
Contact info: http://kenzoid.com/me/contact

Doug Kaye

Jul 9, 2009, 11:02:06 PM7/9/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Ken.

Yes, Facebook is a bit of a mess. See my blog post from last night: http://www.blogarithms.com/index.php/archives/2009/07/08/fbconnect/

The only info I get from Facebook is your first and last names, and
their ToS don't allow me to save that info in a database. They don't
provide your email address, but if you've already signed up on
SpokenWord.org with the same email address as you use for Facebook, I
have the ability to reconcile the identities.

I think I do have the ability to spam your FB friends, but we don't do
that. The one thing I'm probably going to add is the ability for you
to add a SpokenWord.org 'application' on your FB page that shows you
and others what you've recently done on our site (collect, submit,
etc.). All opt-in, of course.

...doug

Doug Kaye, Executive Director
The Conversations Network
A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit
do...@rds.com
v: 415.453.1400
twitter: dougkaye
facebook.com/doug.kaye

Ken Kennedy

Jul 10, 2009, 12:14:47 AM7/10/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick response, Doug...that (and the blogpost; I'm a
bit behind in GReader so I hadn't seen it yet) make things much
clearer. "A bit of a mess" indeed...*sigh*. I guess if it helps you
build the service, then I can understand where you're coming from.
Honestly, I think it's pretty icky, esp, that MD5 hash bulk
submission. As you said, that gives them a LOT of info.