Question: New Table/List UI

Doug Kaye

Sep 28, 2009, 8:52:07 PM9/28/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Based on feedback from many of you I'm working on a new UI for
collections, feeds and programs. The design is similar to the iTunes
Podcasts view. It's a table in which the rows for collections and
feeds can be expanded to reveal the feeds, collections and programs
they contain.

Here's the question of the day: Do you need the ability to re-order
programs in your collections?

Right now, you re-order the programs in your collections using drag-
and-drop in the collection editor. But this is at odds with another
requested feature: the ability to sort programs by title or other
column. I don't think it makes sense to supporting sorting the list
alphabetically *and* offer drag-and-drop reordering. True, the former
may be for display only, but it could get really confusing if we try
to support both.

Consider:

1. iTunes supports column sorting but not re-ordering.

2. Netflix supports re-ordering but not column sorting.

3. The ordering of programs in a collection (currently) controls the
order of programs in the collection's RSS feed.

4. You currently have the option of having newly collected programs
added to the head or tail of your collection and its feed.

5. In this new UI, you'll see (for example) your collections, the
feeds it subscribes to and the programs in those feeds. It will be
hierarchical/nested so that you can see which programs come from which
feeds, etc. This is the fundamental reason people have requested a
feature like this.

So what do you think? Drag-and-drop or sortable by columns? Got an
even better idea?

Thanks.

...doug

Doug Kaye, Executive Director