Bookmarklet

Doug Kaye

Jul 1, 2009, 4:42:57 AM7/1/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
There's a new Bookmarklet on the SpokenWord.org home page. Look for it
just under the Search and Submit boxes on the home page.

You can drag this to your browser's toolbar. When you're on another
page on the Web, click on the swoSubmit bookmarklet and that page's
URL will be passed to the new Submission Wizard.

I'll probably have to add some help text for those who don't
understand bookmarklets, and that upper-right corner is getting pretty
crowded -- so are all the pages for that matter -- but I'd appreciate
any feedback you have on the bookmarklet in particular.

Thanks.

...doug

Doug Kaye, Executive Director
The Conversations Network
A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit
do...@rds.com
v: 415.453.1400
twitter: dougkaye
facebook.com/doug.kaye

Bruce Sharpe

Jul 2, 2009, 8:22:40 PM7/2/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful idea but there's a little snag.  I just tried it here:
http://www.nationalpost.com/podcasts/fullcomment/index.html

When I clicked the bookmarklet, Firefox blocked it as a popup.  My choices were: allow it this one time, allow all popups, or allow popups on this particular website (i.e., nationalpost.com).  None of those is a very good option.  There's no option to "allow popups generated by this bookmarklet".

It's not *too* big of a pain to allow the popup each time but it's not as slick as you'd hope for.

Bruce

Doug Kaye

Jul 2, 2009, 9:10:42 PM7/2/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm...

1. Firefox (3.5 OS X) doesn't block it for me.

2. But it doesn't work for some reason. And it should because the page
has an appropriate <link> in its header. More work on this required.

...doug

Doug Kaye, Executive Director
The Conversations Network
A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit
do...@rds.com
v: 415.453.1400
twitter: dougkaye
facebook.com/doug.kaye

Bruce Sharpe

Jul 2, 2009, 9:17:39 PM7/2/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
FYI I'm still on FF 3.0.11 because I heard some of my favorite extensions are not available for 3.5 yet.

Bruce

Doug Kaye

Jul 3, 2009, 12:11:54 AM7/3/09
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I've confirmed that the issue *is* a pop-up blocker. I don't
know of any solution. As far as I can tell this is an issue with all
cross-domain bookmarklets. Anyone know any different?

Apparently if you use the Google Toolbar -- I don't -- then you can
very conveniently overwrite the pop-up blocker with a single keystroke.

...doug