Is app limited to deleting programs from the 'My Queue' playlist?

Alan

Apr 18, 2009, 2:44:22 PM4/18/09
to SpokenWord.org iTunes-Link Utility
Hi Doug,

I listed to a couple of programs on my ipod 'Usability Tools Podcast:
Robust Personas' and 'Usability Tools Podcast: Home Page Design' om my
playlist 'to Listen' and the program wasn't deleted after I synced it
with Itunes. Is the feature limited to the Primary playlist?

Also, you mention that this is an optional feature; how do you toggle
it on/off?

So far the rating seems to be working.

Thanks!

Doug Kaye

Apr 18, 2009, 3:01:46 PM4/18/09
to spokenwo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Alan.

First message. I think you get a prize!

We're a little disorganized at the moment. I posted the files on
Google without getting Norm (the developer) into the loop. I'm going
to guess that you're using the Windows version, and that that version
doesn't yet support the delete feature. I'm only using the Mac version
here.

I also know that even the current Mac version doesn't handle deletes
quite right. Specifically, it doesn't yet remember the state of all
the programs. It has to catch the delete operation while it's running.

So tell us which version you're running and then let's see what Norm
has to say.

Thanks for your help testing this.

BTW, we're *very* much interested in everyone's feedback on the
concept and the functionality, not just the debugging and testing.
It's a new idea, and while it makes perfect sense to me, I want to
hear from as many people as possible as to whether it's going to do
something that people really want done.

...doug

Doug Kaye, Executive Director
The Conversations Network
A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit
do...@rds.com
v: 415.453.1400
twitter: dougkaye

Alan

Apr 18, 2009, 3:07:27 PM4/18/09
to SpokenWord.org iTunes-Link Utility
Actually, I was confused; i was thinking that being deleted from my
ipod equals being deleted from my playlist in Itunes, and they're too
seperate things. When I deleted from my playlist on itunes it worked.
My bad.

And I'm on Vista.

On Apr 18, 3:01 pm, Doug Kaye <d...@rds.com> wrote:
> Hi, Alan.
>
> First message. I think you get a prize!
>
> We're a little disorganized at the moment. I posted the files on
> Google without getting Norm (the developer) into the loop. I'm going
> to guess that you're using the Windows version, and that that version
> doesn't yet support the delete feature. I'm only using the Mac version
> here.
>
> I also know that even the current Mac version doesn't handle deletes
> quite right. Specifically, it doesn't yet remember the state of all
> the programs. It has to catch the delete operation while it's running.
>
> So tell us which version you're running and then let's see what Norm
> has to say.
>
> Thanks for your help testing this.
>
> BTW, we're *very* much interested in everyone's feedback on the
> concept and the functionality, not just the debugging and testing.
> It's a new idea, and while it makes perfect sense to me, I want to
> hear from as many people as possible as to whether it's going to do
> something that people really want done.
>
>      ...doug
>
> Doug Kaye, Executive Director
> The Conversations Network
> A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit
> d...@rds.com

Doug Kaye

Apr 18, 2009, 3:08:46 PM4/18/09
to spokenwo...@googlegroups.com
How do you delete from the iPod? I don't know how to do that.

...doug

Alan

Apr 18, 2009, 3:22:29 PM4/18/09
to SpokenWord.org iTunes-Link Utility
Sorry... what I meant was after I finished listening to it and and
then synced with Itunes it automatically is removed from the ipod. I
believe that's the default functionality. I wasn't specifying 'delete'
on the Ipod or anything.

Doug Kaye

Apr 18, 2009, 7:36:01 PM4/18/09
to SpokenWord.org iTunes-Link Utility
I never answered the original question. The current design (subject to
everyone's feedback) is that when a program is deleted, it is removed
from all of your collections except your History.

...doug

mndoci

Apr 20, 2009, 1:38:41 AM4/20/09
to SpokenWord.org iTunes-Link Utility
Doug,

Trying to get my head around the intended expected workflow. For
example I maintain multiple collections on SpokenWord, which I then
pipe into iTunes, and several podcast subscriptions directly in
iTunes. I understand the flow between my existing collections and
iTunes. How does this work for existing iTunes subscriptions and
SpokenWord?

Deepak

Doug Kaye

Apr 20, 2009, 2:58:07 AM4/20/09
to spokenwo...@googlegroups.com
We're only dealing with programs that were downloaded to iTunes
because they came via SpokenWord.org. The client-side app can
determine that and ignores all others. So if you rate and/or delete a
program that is iTunes because it came from a SpokenWord.org RSS feed,
the rating and deletion info will be sent back to our site. The rating
is applied to that program (coming from you) and any delete program
will be removed from any of collections that contain it.

That's what it's supposed to do so far. But Norm and I want to hear
from you whether that makes sense or is there another workflow that's
more valuable to you. Our goals are:

1. Get a lot more rating data so that (a) we can make better personal
recommendations, and (b) we have more ratings for others.

2. To make it easier to manage collections that quickly become
unwieldy as you add more and more stuff.

...doug