Expected behaviors for programs in multiple collections

Pat

Apr 21, 2009, 1:35:14 PM4/21/09
to SpokenWord.org iTunes-Link Utility
I really like the concept of what you're going after. I have multiple
collections on SpokenWord and some programs appear in multiple
collections. Off the top of my head, I would expect the following
behaviors:

* If a program is deleted from an iTunes playlist then it is
"uncollected" from the corresponding collection on SpokenWord (not
removed from all collections).

* If a program is rated in *any* iTunes playlist then the rating
should appear on that program in all playlists.

In effect, ratings are about programs and membership is about
playlists/collections.

Does that make sense? Is that what you're after?

~ Pat

Doug Kaye

Apr 21, 2009, 2:22:15 PM4/21/09
to spokenwo...@googlegroups.com
On Apr 21, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Pat wrote:

> * If a program is deleted from an iTunes playlist then it is
> "uncollected" from the corresponding collection on SpokenWord (not
> removed from all collections).

I don't think we can tell which of your collections a program comes
from if it's in more than one. (Norm?)

> * If a program is rated in *any* iTunes playlist then the rating
> should appear on that program in all playlists.

The rating isn't associated with any collection it's just the program,
the userId and the rating value.

> In effect, ratings are about programs and membership is about
> playlists/collections.
>
> Does that make sense? Is that what you're after?

Yup. Thanks, Pat.

...doug

Norman Lorrain

Apr 21, 2009, 11:11:59 PM4/21/09
to spokenwo...@googlegroups.com
Answers inline....

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Doug Kaye <do...@rds.com> wrote:

On Apr 21, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Pat wrote:

> * If a program is deleted from an iTunes playlist then it is
> "uncollected" from the corresponding collection on SpokenWord (not
> removed from all collections).

I don't think we can tell which of your collections a program comes
from if it's in more than one. (Norm?)

Each program has the corresponding RSS feed in it.  We could add that to the data that's uploaded.

> * If a program is rated in *any* iTunes playlist then the rating
> should appear on that program in all playlists.

The rating isn't associated with any collection it's just the program,
the userId and the rating value.

That's correct, and I would clarify that an "unrated" program will not conflict with one that is rated, because we only report to the server programs that have an associated rating.  If you have 100 programs in a given playlist and only rate 3 of them, the server is only told about those 3.

Also, there's no way for SpokenWord to tell iTunes what rating a program was previously given.