How to Publicize

Doug Kaye

Oct 12, 2010, 3:38:55 PM10/12/10
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
(I wanted to start a separate thread for this question.)

Now that you've created your curation(s) and we're going to begin featuring them on the SpokenWord.org homepage, how can we (including you) publicize and build traffic to your curations? We asked this in our survey, but let's continue the discussion here. Please comment on and add to this list:

* blog about your curation
* some kind of HTML/JavaScript widget for your blog or website
* post to Twitter when you add to your curation
* same for Facebook
* get other websites about your topic to mention your curation (how?)
* [your ideas here!]

   ...doug

Here are some of your comments from our survey:

* I think posting the new curated feed, and how/why it works to some of the high profile blogs in the content areas would be a nice compliment to the existing audience.  For example, getting mentions on Boing Boing or the MAKE: blog for the DIY/maker material would point new people to the right place.

* Maybe make embeddable widgets/players that expose SW.org data rivers.

* Think about Audio Boo, like can you make a functionality that easily enables audio responses to SW curation calls?

* Linkedin is becoming a very useful networking site and many of the members are the type of person who will listen to high quality audio  and video reviews

* Attract high level guest curators once the site is up and running.   Have Stephen Fry's Annual Pick, that kind of thing.

* Advertise on Podiobooks.

* Perhaps look at holding discussion panels every so often with various curators on popular topics. Invite key partners (private, public, non-profit, research/academic sectors) to participate and offer their insight on ways people can become more involved with a particular issue.