Search Option to exclude programs already collected

Jeff - The Ausmerican

Oct 10, 2010, 3:50:49 AM10/10/10
to SpokenWord.org-Curators
It would be nice to be able to exclude programs already in one or more
of your collections from search results. This would allow curators to
more easily identify content without results being cluttered with
existing collected content.

--JP

Doug Kaye

Oct 10, 2010, 12:29:10 PM10/10/10
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Most of our search has been shifted to the Google engine, and over
time all of it will be. After spending months trying to refine the
search algorithms, the fact is that the folks at Google do a much
better job of it. What a surprise! :-)

But I'll check into the Google search params to see if we can control
what's excluded from the results.

...doug

Jeff - The Ausmerican

Oct 10, 2010, 11:12:17 PM10/10/10
to SpokenWord.org-Curators
Yeah I noticed the Google search and wasn't sure whether that was a
long term or short term solution. I hear those guys at Google do a
reasonable job with search... probably worth utilizing them :)

I'm happy to play around with search syntax if you can provide some
field level guidance.

On Oct 11, 5:29 am, Doug Kaye <d...@rds.com> wrote:
> Most of our search has been shifted to the Google engine, and over
> time all of it will be. After spending months trying to refine the
> search algorithms, the fact is that the folks at Google do a much
> better job of it. What a surprise! :-)
>
> But I'll check into the Google search params to see if we can control
> what's excluded from the results.
>
>    ...doug
>
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Jeff - The Ausmerican

Doug Kaye

Oct 12, 2010, 3:13:11 PM10/12/10
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Jeff.

By "field level guidance" I assume you're referring to our database fields, correct? We don't want to use our own database for searching. We want to leverage Google more and more. See my blog post here: http://www.blogarithms.com/index.php/archives/2009/06/26/searchadventures/

   ...doug

Jeff - The Ausmerican

Oct 14, 2010, 1:16:04 AM10/14/10
to SpokenWord.org-Curators
OK, so typical Google syntax works e.g. searching for:

career
Gives me results that include programs that I collect

changing syntax to:

career -"Jeff Porter"
Returns those without my name.

Jeff Porter Submitted 10/*/10
Returns programs submitted in October ....but doesn't seem like enough
entries?

"Submitted by Jeff Porter" "Show Comments (1)"
This should show me all of the items I've submitted with 1
comment .... definitely not all .... how often does it index?

Need to play around with this a bit and get familiar with page
(meta)data, but I agree with some smart search syntax this should do
the job.

JP

On Oct 13, 8:13 am, Doug Kaye <d...@rds.com> wrote:
> Hi, Jeff.
>
> By "field level guidance" I assume you're referring to our database fields,
> correct? We don't want to use our own database for searching. We want to
> leverage Google more and more. See my blog post here:http://www.blogarithms.com/index.php/archives/2009/06/26/searchadvent...
>
>    ...doug
>
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:12 PM, Jeff - The Ausmerican <

Doug Kaye

Oct 14, 2010, 2:34:32 AM10/14/10
to spokenwor...@googlegroups.com
Some things you should know about how we use Google...

1. At the moment we've disabled (using robots.txt) everything except
/program and /feed pages. We'll be adding /playlist
(collection/curation) pages soon.

2. Our strategy is to put into the HTML page for each of these objects
the (meta)data Google needs.

3. We publish huge sitemaps for Google and other search engines.
They're updated hourly. At the moment there are nearly 800,000
/program and /feed pages inthe sitemaps.

4. We heavily leverage the HTML title of the page. /program pages all
have titles that begin with Audio: or Video:. Feeds have titles that
begin with Feed:. Curations will (soon) have titles Curation:
<curation_title> curated by <your_name>. This is primarily for making
the search results clear, but it also allows managed Google searches.

...doug