All,
I'm just getting started with occupancy modeling and have run into a road block I know I can fix... with some guidance.
What is the best way to handle incomplete cases? I have a dataset with some missing values for detection covariates where observers did not record all of the necessary information (e.g., start time of survey, or temperature) despite conducting a survey.
Error in msPGOcc(), :
error: some elements in det.covs have missing values where there is an observed data value in y. Please either replace the NA values in det.covs with non-missing values (e.g., mean imputation) or set the corresponding values in y to NA where the covariate is missing.
These gaps do not perfectly overlap each other across all surveys, detection covariates, or detection histories. So far, I have only attempted working with Julian date and time of day as detection covariates. It strikes me that methods of filling missing data (e.g., mean imputation) would be inappropriate for these variables (maybe you have some other idea?). Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Sincerely,
Sam O'Dell