Proposal update, strawman implementation

Cay Horstmann

Apr 17, 2023, 6:22:45 AM4/17/23
to splice-smart-learni...@googlegroups.com
Here is an update of the SPLICE Smart Learning Content Protocol document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X6Vx6Em67t8Vp4Vecnmc-7OblVewJJKDFIJUrvRAvdc/edit#heading=h.r0syp685x130

At

https://horstmann.com/private/jsav/AV/Graph/DijkstraPE.html
https://horstmann.com/private/js-parsons/examples/turtle-test.html

you will find a JSAV and a js-parsons problem that call SPLICE.reportScoreAndState, which is passed to the iframe parent thanks to the included https://horstmann.com/private/splice/splice-iframe.js

If you go to

https://codecheck.me/assignment/2304170505or20ylsrsuje9ykgzk49qpnx

you will find an assignment consisting of these two problems. Click on the lowest-weight edge emanating from node A to gain a point. Click on (2) and solve the Parsons puzzle. Your scores will travel to the CodeCheck assignments server and be saved there.

To make an LTI exercise, follow https://horstmann.com/codecheck/lti.html to add the CodeCheck assignments server to your LMS. Then follow the instructions to add the assignment with URL https://codecheck.me/assignment/2304170505or20ylsrsuje9ykgzk49qpnx.

Result: You can now assign JSAV and js-parsons problems in your LMS.

This works because I rigged CodeCheck assignments to understand the proposed SPLICE postMessage protocol.

TODO: Understand JSAV and js-parsons better to restore state. Any volunteers?
TODO: Get another server implementor to support this iteration of the SPLICE postMessage protocol. Any volunteers?
TODO: Carve out a SPLICE-to-LTI bridge that does just state saving and LTI bridging. I can do this in Java with LTI 1.1. Anyone with ltijs experience who wants to port to 1.3?

Cheers,

Cay

--

Cay S. Horstmann | http://horstmann.com | mailto:c...@horstmann.com

Adeyemi Aina

Apr 21, 2023, 12:46:52 AM4/21/23
to Cay Horstmann, splice-smart-learni...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Dr Hortsmann, for the SPLICE protocol document update and resources. It's nice to see the integration with CodeCheck assignments.

I’m volunteering to get started on the first two To Do items.

Warm regards,
Yemi

Cliff Shaffer

May 28, 2023, 12:04:01 AM5/28/23
to Adeyemi Aina, Cay Horstmann, splice-smart-learni...@googlegroups.com
Cay -- Yemi has prepared a document that attempts to give the details on how OpenDSA is currently managing its LTI communications. You can see it at:

He is going to work on a version of the OpenDSA LTI client-side implementation to use your API and library.
                      -- Cliff

Dr. Cliff Shaffer
Professor and Associate Department Head for Graduate Studies
Department of Computer Science              Phone: (540) 231-4354
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061          WWW: www.cs.vt.edu/~shaffer

Cay Horstmann

Jun 8, 2023, 10:23:53 AM6/8/23
to Cliff Shaffer, Adeyemi Aina, splice-smart-learni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cliff and Yemi, that document is very useful. It seems support for the SPLICE protocol would be similar to what is currently described in Section 6 for JSAV.

I now added the SPLICE 0.02 draft protocol to a large number of exercises: anything made with CodeCheck as well as the Big Java/C++/Python book assignments. Here are a couple of sample URLs:

https://codecheck.me/assignment/2306081410an0rzd8zs4nbl48lgesodyfqs
http://www.interactivities.ws/ebook-bjeo-6-ch16-sec01-int1-1.xhtml

Include them in an iframe and listen to their messages.

Looking forward to an odsaSPLICE.js adapter that makes them work without the overhead of LTI!

Cheers,

Cay

Cliff Shaffer

Oct 1, 2023, 3:49:47 PM10/1/23
to Cay Horstmann, Adeyemi Aina, splice-smart-learni...@googlegroups.com, Alex Hicks
Cay, Yemi -- I think that we all got sidetracked with other things!

Yemi -- Did you finish with the iframe test?

Cay -- Where do things stand now? What would you like us to do next?

Adeyemi Aina

Oct 2, 2023, 12:24:04 PM10/2/23
to Cliff Shaffer, Cay Horstmann, splice-smart-learni...@googlegroups.com, Alex Hicks
Not yet, We hit a few snags with devstack, I will try to expedite the testing of the iframe on staging

Many thanks!
--
Warm regards,
Yemi