Re: No National Convention in 2008!

Frank Reichert

Dec 6, 2005, 1:15:15 AM12/6/05
to Oregon_Libert...@yahoogroups.com, LPMC, LPWS...@yahoogroups.com, ca-liberty, li...@immosys.com
Good evening again, David!

Although you posted this on Idaho_Libs, I'm cc'ing this to
Liberty Northwest, as this appears to have a National bent to it,
and I assume others might wish to make some comments regarding
this issue.

David Terry wrote to everyone...

> Forwarded from another list.
> I tend to think its a good idea.
> Comments anyone?
> David Terry

Since readers on Liberty Northwest didn't get a hard look at the
details here, I'm including all of your verbiage below.

I disagree with you, it is NOT a good idea to eliminate a
national LP Convention in 2008.

First, most LP State Party affiliates go through the usual
primary and general election process during an election year with
their own slate of candidates. They usually, if not all of them
anyway, wear the coat-tails of the national Presidential
platform. If no primary existed, the entire expectation of usual
political rhetoric would be totally lost at both the national,
state and local levels.

Secondly, most people give little or no thought to politics until
(the last couple of months of) when an election year is in full
bloom. Declaring a Primary a year early would be a ho-hum thing
for the majority of people who usually only tune in during the
last couple of months of an election year.

Third, and I hope readers will read the rest of your verbiage
below, the LP simply must take a more corrective course of
identifying real issues that most voters give a damn about! To
bring about this point, let me quote what you wrote below:

QUOTE:

> Yet when Michael Badnarik and Green Party candidate David
> Cobb became the
> > first presidential candidates in American history to be
arrested while
> campaigning, not to mention
> > that they were handcuffed and jailed for attempting to
commit free
> speech, even Libertarians
> > without access to the internet did not know about this
atrocity for
> weeks.

UNQUOTE... READERS CAN TUNE INTO THAT AGAIN BELOW.

Point is here folks, the LP is fond of sensationalism, usually on
good issues, but issues nevertheless than turn off most
individuals who really do the voting! I am not necessarily
suggesting that sensationalism doesn't have its place, but most
Americans are tuned in on REAL life and death issues that have
some relevance to their everyday lives.

We presently DO HAVE REAL ISSUES. We presently have a Supreme
Court that is up for grabs during the Shrub Regime's rule. In
spite of the fact that I am a Pro-Life Libertarian that believes
that the Right to Life is probably the most important defining
issue that ought to unify Libertarians, it is not. In spite of
that, I do not necessarily support the current Regimes passion
for changing the highest Court in a neo-facsist direction that
will have a profound effect of further erodding our liberties,
the few that are still left, anyway.

So, I invite those coming into this discuss to discuss this much
further. I believe the LP has baggage, but nevertheless must
weigh in during an election year with a National Convention, and
not continue along the lines of a political party that is lost in
fringe issue causes that almost no one care about, and probably
most detest anyway.

Kindest regards,
Frank