spire 0.10.1 release + roadmap

Erik Osheim

May 16, 2015, 5:22:38 PM5/16/15
to spire...@googlegroups.com
(I posted this to type...@googlegroups.com, but figured I'd post it
here in case some folks have chosen not to subscribe to that list.)

Hello friends!

First, I am pleased to announce a new release of Spire: 0.10.1. This
release mostly contains performance enhancements and bug fixes, as
well as additional tests introduced to help ensure correctness. We
also have a new PCG-based random number generator thanks to Alec
Zorab.

A summary of the changes since 0.9.1 is available [1]. I want to thank
everyone who contributed to the release:

- Rüdiger Klaehn
- Kevin Meredith
- Pablo Pita
- Alexey Romanov
- Denis Rosset
- Kazuhiro Sera
- Tom Switzer
- Kenji Yoshida
- Alec Zorab

Second, I wanted to give an update on changes and features which will
be coming in the future.

One big feature will be integration with the Algebra project [2]. This
project's design draws heavily from the spire.algebra package. The
primary purpose here is to allow Spire to interoperate with Algebird,
Cats, and other projects that don't want a full Spire dependency but
provide or use algebraic type classes.

Another big change is scala.js support. Alistair Johnson (@InTheNow)
has been laying the groundwork for this by adding scala.js support to
Spire's dependencies, and recently mentioned on Gitter that he was
going to create a topic branch to being adding scala.js support to
Spire itself.

If you want to help with this effort, feel free to get in touch on
Gitter, or comment on the relevant Spire issue [2].

Kevin Meredith has kindly looked into testing and improving our
support for universal equality. There is at least one outstanding PR
for this, and I'm hoping to get this work into a release in the near
future.

We are continuing to improve test coverage for Spire, which will
undoubtedly uncover some areas where we are weak. I also want to add
to DESIGN.md, a document started by Rüdiger to document implementation
details for Spire's number types. As usual, documentation continues to
be a place where we could use improvement.

Thanks,

-- Erik

[1] https://github.com/non/spire/blob/master/CHANGES.md#version-0101

[2] https://github.com/non/spire/issues/321