Amount of RAM Required to Run Tests?

Kevin Meredith

Aug 20, 2015, 10:20:26 AM8/20/15
to spire-math
How much RAM is required to run spire's tests?

I tried to run tests:

cd spire

sbt -mem 2300

test

with 2GB of RAM, but got the following error:

Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

I had tried adding the following to my ~/.bash_profile:

export SBT_OPTS="-Xmx2G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -XX:MaxPermSize=2G -Xss2M -Duser.timezone=GMT"

But I got an `out of memory error` when trying to simply compile spire. After adding `sbt -mem 2300`, I could compile, but not run tests.

Thanks,

Kevin

Erik Osheim

Aug 20, 2015, 10:35:15 AM8/20/15
to Kevin Meredith, spire-math
Hi Kevin,

For now, I would recommend running testsJVM/test. I don't think we've
nailed down exactly how much RAM we require to run both the JVM and JS
tests in a single SBT session. I'll try to reply to the list with a
more satisfying answer, but for now I think the best strategy during
development is to limit it to the JVM.

(Similarly, coreJVM/compile can be a bit faster than core/compile in
many cases.)

-- Erik