Information required for NengoSpiNNaker

Saurav Pawar

Sep 22, 2022, 6:20:41 AM9/22/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
Hi,

I tried accessing SpiNNaker machine via NengoSpiNNaker but wasn't able to as I ran into lot of issues. Is NengoSpiNNaker being maintained (there hasn't been any commit to the repository for the past 5 years) ?

Thanks,
Saurav

Andrew Rowley

Sep 22, 2022, 6:22:51 AM9/22/22
to Saurav Pawar, SpiNNaker Users Group

Hi,

No, we haven’t been keeping it up to date specifically, though we haven’t altered any of the software that it relies on that I know of.  It might therefore be a dependency issue I guess, though it also likely depends on what you tried to run on it, as it was a PhD project at the time of last development so it might not cope with all scenarios.

Andrew :)

Saurav Pawar

Sep 22, 2022, 6:28:33 AM9/22/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
Yes, some of them are dependency issues. Any alternative for that ?

Andrew Rowley

Sep 22, 2022, 6:32:11 AM9/22/22
to Saurav Pawar, SpiNNaker Users Group

Hi,

The dependencies of NengoSpiNNaker appear to have hard-specified versions.  If you can find those specific versions you should be able to make it work.  I would advise that you are likely to need to install these in a virtualenv.  If the dependencies are no longer available, that would be harder to solve!

Andrew :)

Andrew Rowley

Sep 22, 2022, 6:38:34 AM9/22/22
to Saurav Pawar, SpiNNaker Users Group

Hi,

We just realised that there are two repositories – nengo_spinnaker and NengoSpiNNaker.  Note that nengo_spinnaker is the old version that might still work with the right dependencies.  NengoSpiNNaker is a version where we once tried to port it to the current software as a backend, but that didn’t get finished.  If anything is likely to work at all, it would be nengo_spinnaker and probably this version:

https://github.com/project-rig/nengo_spinnaker

Andrew :)

Saurav Pawar

Sep 22, 2022, 6:50:04 AM9/22/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
Hi,

Yes, I used the same repository and faced issues. I also wanted to ask, is there a way to convert my CNN model to PyNN format and then run it using SpiNNaker ?
I have access to SpiNNaker using EBRAINS.

Saurav : )

Andrew Gait

Sep 22, 2022, 6:54:32 AM9/22/22
to Saurav Pawar, SpiNNaker Users Group
Hi Saurav,

You might be able to do a conversion from a CNN to PyNN using the SNN toolbox: https://github.com/NeuromorphicProcessorProject/snn_toolbox and if you have any problems with that then asking them directly might be the best way forward.

Andy

Dr. Andrew Gait (he/him),
Research Software Engineer,
APT Group,
Department of Computer Science,
The University of Manchester,
Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL

email: andre...@manchester.ac.uk
Sep 22, 2022, 7:09:40 AM9/22/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
Hi,

Thank you for the resource. Is there also a way to create a spiking CNN using PyNN ?
I did refer the official documentation of PyNN and also the github of PyNN but didn't find any resource that can be useful to build a CNN using PyNN. I also referred a couple of other resources but most of them have converted their CNN and didn't create one.

Thanks,
Saurav

Andrew Gait

Sep 22, 2022, 7:26:09 AM9/22/22
to Saurav Pawar, SpiNNaker Users Group
In PyNN I don't think there is currently a way to do spiking CNNs directly.

In sPyNNaker we do have some recent work that may help you, but it may depend on the nature of your CNN: have a look at https://spinnakermanchester.github.io/development/2d_convolutions.html for work related to 2D convolutions, or consider using the KernelConnector (see e.g. https://github.com/SpiNNakerManchester/sPyNNaker/blob/master/spynnaker_integration_tests/test_connectors/test_kernel_connector.py).

Andy

Dr. Andrew Gait (he/him),
Research Software Engineer,
APT Group,
Department of Computer Science,
The University of Manchester,
Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL

Sep 22, 2022, 9:40:58 AM9/22/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
I have attached my CNN architecture.
Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 17-39-59 chat.ebrains.eu.png

Andrew Rowley

Sep 22, 2022, 9:55:36 AM9/22/22
to Saurav Pawar, SpiNNaker Users Group

Hi,

I think the code can deal with all that.  Note that there is a p.PoolDenseConnector() to use as a connector and p.PoolDense() to use as a synapse type as well.

For the connectors, there is some information in the connectors themselves as to their use:

https://github.com/SpiNNakerManchester/sPyNNaker/blob/master/spynnaker/pyNN/models/neural_projections/connectors/convolution_connector.py#L56-L116

https://github.com/SpiNNakerManchester/sPyNNaker/blob/master/spynnaker/pyNN/models/neural_projections/connectors/pool_dense_connector.py#L54-L90

Andrew :)

Saurav Pawar