APLX not found

Clea Smith

Feb 15, 2022, 6:47:51 AM2/15/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
Hi all,

While I was trying to implement a network with simple two layers:

1. spike source array layer
        [All to all connection with triplet stdp ]
2. IF_cond_exp layer

but it is complaining there is no APLX found like this:

KeyError: 'Executable IF_cond_exp_stdp_mad_pfister_triplet_additive.aplx not found in path'

It seems I need to create this new executable using makefile.

So would it be suggested to create a new makefile in /sPyNNakerGit/sPyNNaker/neural_modelling/makefiles/neuron

or the one down below?

/sPyNNakerGit/sPyNNaker8NewModelTemplate/c_models/makefiles

Many thanks

Clea

Andrew Rowley

Feb 15, 2022, 7:21:03 AM2/15/22
to Clea Smith, SpiNNaker Users Group

Hi,

You can create the Makefile in either, but it might be easier in /sPyNNakerGit/sPyNNaker/neural_modelling/makefiles/neuron because then you can simply copy one of the other ones.  The ones in sPyNNaker8NewModelTemplate will have different paths inside I believe.

Andrew :)

Clea Smith

Feb 15, 2022, 10:13:53 AM2/15/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

I created the new model from /sPyNNakerGit/sPyNNaker8NewModelTemplate/c_models/makefiles

Is it necessary the new module has to be named as "IF_cond_exp_stdp_mad_pfister_triplet_additive.aplx" ?

Cus it seems that I have created module named as "IF_cond_exp_mad_pfister_triplet_additive.aplx" and linked it correctly in the python file,

now it is complaining that the executable name "IF_cond_exp_mad_pfister_triplet_additive_stdp_mad_pfister_triplet_additive.aplx" not found. Seems like a combination of two parts from my aplx and a default suffixes.

Many thanks
Clea

Andrew Rowley

Feb 15, 2022, 10:26:06 AM2/15/22
to Clea Smith, SpiNNaker Users Group

Hi,

You should have IF_cond_exp_stdp_mad_pfister_triplet_additive.aplx as you suggest.  You shouldn’t need an additional Python module for this; you should be able to continue as you did before you built this, using just IF_cond_exp as the model.  This is because it is made of elements that otherwise already exist (other than the binary file itself which brings them all together).

Let us know if you continue to have issues,

Andrew :)

Clea Smith

Feb 15, 2022, 10:46:27 AM2/15/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
Hi,

I followed what you said, but it seems that the script is not searching the aplx file in this folder:

/sPyNNakerGit/sPyNNaker8NewModelTemplate/python_models8/model_binaries

instead it simply just searches in the folder if I make new python file and import from own directory

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spinn_front_end_common/common_model_binaries, /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/spynnaker/pyNN/model_binaries

Should I copy my aplx over to the searching folder?

Many thanks

Clea

Andrew Rowley

Feb 15, 2022, 10:52:47 AM2/15/22
to Clea Smith, SpiNNaker Users Group

Hi,

The issue is that this folder is added when python_models8 is imported itself; there is some code in the __init__.py file in that folder that adds the binary path to the system.  I think you can ensure this code is executed by adding the following to the top of your script:

import python_models8

Hopefully this will do the job, but let us know if not.

Andrew :)

Clea Smith

Feb 15, 2022, 11:03:45 AM2/15/22
to SpiNNaker Users Group
Hi,

Yes, it works! Many thanks!

I also tried to copy the aplx file over, it also works.

Many thanks
Clea

Andrew Rowley

Feb 15, 2022, 11:06:00 AM2/15/22
to Clea Smith, SpiNNaker Users Group

Hi,

Yes, both will work, but copying is something that it is easy to forget to do!  That probably doesn’t matter if you aren’t trying to debug it, as you will probably only build it once.

Andrew :)