different result under same evolution time

已查看 36 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Rongchun Zhang

未读,
2014年2月2日 13:25:412014/2/2
收件人 spinev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, guys,
I am trying to simulate some signal as a function of evolution time under MAS.
However, there is some weird that I could not quite understand.
I am sorry I could not show you the sequence.
For example, I set the MAS rate=20kHz. There are three same evolution period during my sequence
If I set the increments of the evolution time as 5us, I got a signal curve as a function of the evolution time.
However, if I set the increment of the evolution time as 50us(rotor-synchronize), at a long evolution time, I found the simulated result is completely different from that when increment was 5us. It is really strange that I did not quite understand.
PS: I used n_gamma=12,  Euler_angles=rep168
Thanks for the help very much.
--
Best regards,
Rongchun

Rongchun Zhang

未读,
2014年2月2日 15:13:122014/2/2
收件人 spinev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I just found out that the problem comes from the setting of n_gamma. Sometimes even n_gamma was set as 12, the program set it as 20( shown by the "spinev xx.in -s" commands). That could explain the difference. However, it makes me curious about how should we choose and set the value of n_gamma. Different values gave completely different simulation results.

Thanks

--
Best regards,
Rongchun

张荣纯 Rongchun Zhang
Room 4002, Chemistry Building,
Biophysics and Department of Chemistry,
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, US.
Mobile: (01)734-353-9636
Email: zrc...@gmail.com
           rozh...@umich.edu

Mikhail Veshtort

未读,
2014年2月3日 08:01:302014/2/3
收件人 spinev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rongchun,

n_gamma specifies the minimal number of steps/nodes to use for averaging over the gamma angle. The program may actually choose a larger number of steps to use if this will make the computation more efficient. This can be seen, as you have noticed, with the help of the -s option.

“Powder averaging” is essentially a numerical integration of your results (spectrum or FID) over all possible orientations of the molecule. When you choose the powder averaging set and n_gamma for the simulation, you choose the algorithm that the program will use to perform this numerical integration. If you specify a powder averaging set or n_gamma that are not sufficiently fine for your problem, the results of the integration will be inaccurate. Since it is difficult to know ahead of time if some powder averaging scheme will be good enough for the specific simulation at hand, one always has to check the results for convergence. To do this, you have to repeat the simulations using some finer powder averaging scheme and compare the results with your previous computation. If the results did not change (within some error limits acceptable to you), that means conversion is reached. However, if you see that the results do change when a larger number of gamma-steps (that can be seen with the -s option) or a larger number of {alpha, beta} nodes are used, then you must choose some finer scheme for powder averaging.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Best regards,
Mikhail

Rongchun Zhang