Important announcements

Mikhail Veshtort

Jan 7, 2014, 1:08:33 PM1/7/14
to spinev-...@googlegroups.com
Dear SpinEvolution users,

I have three VERY important announcements to make:

1) Version 3.4.6 has been released.
2) SpinEvolution is going into commercial development this year.
3) The program has moved to a new website: SpinEvolution.com.

Please read the details at our new website!!!

Best regards,
Mikhail

Johanna

Mar 13, 2014, 5:09:47 AM3/13/14
to spinev-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mikhail,

I have a few questions regarding Spinevolution going commercial.

I use the program occasionally (once ore twice a year) to run some solid state NMR calculations. If I want to continue doing this I need to get a licences.

I am happy to pay for a good program. However I am not happy with the yearly expiry of the program due to the following reasons.

1. I will loose all the work I put into the program if I cannot extend the license. This can happen because your company doesn't exist any more or because the license is getting too expensive.
2. If I need to check something with my simulations a few month after they were done (e.g. during a review process) I have to pay another 1000$ if this happens to be in the next calendar year.
3. I would prefer to get an unlimited license (or maybe something like 10 years) and then pay again for improved versions.

Another concern to me is that form the new web page it is not clear to me who my contract partner will be.

I would be very happy if you could address my concerns.

Best wishes
Johanna Baldus
AK Glaubitz
Goethe University Frankfurt

Mikhail Veshtort

Mar 13, 2014, 10:47:01 AM3/13/14
to spinev-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Johanna,

Thank you for openly expressing your concerns. I am certainly aware that people may have various questions of this kind, and I do have plans to address these issues.

First of all, please understand that this is just a start, and that with time things will get more optimized and become more flexible and transparent.

You shouldn’t be wary of running into a situation where you need to use the program but cannot extend your license. Being a scientist myself, I very much respect other people’s hard work and understand their needs and limitations, and so I will not impose any draconian restrictions or license fees that will run people into this kind of trouble. But I hope that everyone will come to understanding that this should really be a two-way road: even though it would be nice and convenient to always have SpinEvolution for free, it is certainly not sustainable. So, if people find this software useful for their research, they should try to find financial resources to support its maintenance and development. And if anyone feels that something is out of balance here, please make sure that I know about these concerns.

Some specific plans that should address the situations mentioned in your post: For small-scale or occasional uses of SpinEvolution, I am planning to offer a relatively low-cost access to the program over a web interface on our website. The simulations will run on our servers in this case. I am also planning on making the licensing options more flexible in the future. In particular, it will be possible to make a floating year subscription (so that the year can start and end on any date, rather than run from January 1st to January 1st). Offering shorter-term licenses is also a possibility. And if you or anyone else have other ideas to offer, I would be very open to hearing them.

In regards to the perpetual/permanent licenses, there are several reasons why they are not offered publicly at this point. The main one is that they will have to be made relatively expensive, and my expectation was that not many labs would be interested in purchasing them for this reason. However, if you or someone else is interested in this kind of license, we can certainly discuss this.

Your “contract partner” at this point will be me (as the sole owner of my company, SpinEvolution Software). This will be stated on the license agreement you receive after making a purchase. All sales and billing at this point are handled by our partner company, BioMolTech Corp. They will be the vendor for your purchasing department purposes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Mikhail