Need help with scheck options

Chitrak

Aug 8, 2012, 4:54:56 PM8/8/12
to spinev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am new to this group. Just wanted to know if there is some documentation available for the various scheck options (i.e., what each of the scheck s check for).

In specific, I am looking for scheck 3. It says that phase cycling a Hermitian observable is probably an error. Could anyone explain why that is true?

Best regards,
Chitrak.

Mikhail Veshtort

Aug 9, 2012, 11:08:39 AM8/9/12
to spinev-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chitrak,

The most common goal of phase cycling is to make observable coherences that result from certain coherence pathways while suppressing signal from other pathways. This can be straightforwardly achieved when your observable is an operator of a certain coherence order, like F1p or I1p. And such operators are obviously non-Hermitian. Therefore, if you use phase cycling with a Hermitian observable, you are either doing something quite unconventional (and hence should use the -scheck3 option, telling the program that you do know what you are doing here), or this is a mistake and should correct it.

Mikhail

Chitrak Gupta

Aug 9, 2012, 1:57:07 PM8/9/12
to spinev-...@googlegroups.com