Problem: SPINEVOLUTION not working on Cygwin...?

Simone Sturniolo

Aug 19, 2013, 9:33:13 AM8/19/13
to spinev-...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to make SPINEVOLUTION run on Cygwin for an educational demonstration, but something is not working. I downloaded the windows version of Spinevolution and copied it into the cygwin home folder. When I run it without any argument, the header is shown fine, but when I give an input file, it just shows the "Experiment loaded" line but doesn't create any output files. Cygwin is connected to the internet (I can successfully ping the Google DNS at 8.8.8.8), so the authentication should be no problem, also because I don't receive the usual error message which occurs in those cases. I suspect the issue is one of writing permissions, but I've tried to increase them as well without results (this is Windows XP, not 7, so there's no "Run as an admin" option either). Any suggestions about what should I try? The tutorial is tomorrow afternoon and I'm starting to think I'll have to skip the SPINEVOLUTION exercise altogether at this point.
Thanks!

Simone Sturniolo

Mikhail Veshtort

Aug 19, 2013, 11:18:10 AM8/19/13
to <spinev-discuss@googlegroups.com>
Hi Simone,

SPINEVOLUTION should work on Cygwin. The problem might be in the incompatible versions of the cygwin1.dll file that this version of SPINEVOLUTION was compiled for and the one you have on your Cygwin installation. I can't come up with any other reason for this issue. Try copying cygwin1.dll from the spinev website (http://web.mit.edu/fbml/cmr/griffin-group/SPINEVOLUTION/cygwin/cygwin1.dll) to the directory from which you run spinev or to the spinev home directory (I don't remember which should it be).

If it doesn't help, perhaps consider running spinev from the MS-DOS command window for now.

Best regards,
Mikhail