updated version

Dennis Long

Jan 20, 2015, 11:03:05 AM1/20/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hi, has anyone updated spiel to have a different keyboard modifier key
or to allow us to choose the key? I know this was discussed. I am
willing to test and ready to test. I do not have the knowledge to make
the necessary changes myself.

Nolan Darilek

Jan 20, 2015, 11:10:43 AM1/20/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Not I. We just had a long weekend and I have a ton on my plate.

Dennis Long

Jan 20, 2015, 11:13:41 AM1/20/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
can you please post when you do have a chance to get it updated.

Nolan Darilek

Jan 20, 2015, 11:48:23 AM1/20/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
I probably won't for a while because it isn't a huge priority for me.
Sorry, trying to launch a commercial app, help start another company and
deal with minor legal issues. Time is pretty short.

Dennis Long

Jan 20, 2015, 11:58:06 AM1/20/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
if you or someone could do that when you have a chance I would really
appreciate it would help me tremendously.

Drew Mochak

Jan 20, 2015, 2:59:12 PM1/20/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
If you want it done, do it yourself. If you don't know how, learn. This
is kind of the unofficial opensource ethos.

Peter Vágner

Jan 22, 2015, 5:52:39 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I am not using keyboard extensivelly my self however if you and others
wish I can try creating a patch.

What worries me that now we do have keys with capslock and
capslock+control modifiers. If we'll end up changing capslock to
shift+alt can you accept shortcuts like alt+shift+ctrl+left /
alt+shift+ctrl+right and similar?

I don't feel brave enough to start venture adding ability to change
keyboard shortcuts on the fly by users.

Greetings

Peter

Dňa 20.01.2015 o 17:57 Dennis Long napísal(a):

Dennis Long

Jan 22, 2015, 6:01:14 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
control will not work because phones with a physical keyboard do not
have control keys. However alt and shift plus left right arrow are fine.

Peter Vágner

Jan 22, 2015, 6:07:58 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I apologize, english is not my native language and most likelly due to
this you were unable to get my point.
We currently have shortcut keys where the same key is used multiple
times. Once with capslock only and second time with both capslock+ctrl
as modifiers.

I am sorry that I am too picky but please try to transform all the
following shortcuts one after the other the way you wish to have them
implemented so we will not cause conflicts.

capslock+right navigate forward
capslock+left navigate backward
capslock+up decrease granularity i.e. change from word to character
capslock+down increase granularity i.e. change from character to word
capslock+ctrl+right scroll forward
capslock+ctrl+left scrol backward
escape same as pressing the back button
capslock+escape same as pressing the home key
capslock+ctrl+up open notifications
capslock+ctrl+down start say all

Drew Mochak

Jan 22, 2015, 6:10:07 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
I hate to be like this, but this is the double edged sword with Android:
everyone's needs are different. Trying to come up with one global
solution that works across every hardware configuration is a process
with no end.

Drew Mochak

Jan 22, 2015, 6:16:27 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
I assume that pressing shift twice is considered a caps lock as much as
pressing an actual caps lock key would. That assumption in mind, your
scheme seems quite doable in theory. In practice, most Android qwerty
phones don't have control keys, only alt and shift, and I don't know of
any bluetooth/peripheral keyboards that don't have alt keys. So caps+alt
sounds sensible, but again we unfortunately cannot cover use cases we
dont' know about.

Peter Vágner

Jan 22, 2015, 6:22:21 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Yes, I am expecting that we will not be able to come up with universal
solution here but still we can at least come up with a sane default
where less frequently used actions will be bound to keys which may not
be available on all the devices.

Greetings

Peter

Dennis Long

Jan 22, 2015, 6:25:35 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Here you go. Thank you very much for doing this.
alt+right navigate forward
alt+left navigate backward
alt+up decrease granularity i.e. change from word to character
alt+down increase granularity i.e. change from character to word
altshift+right scroll forward
alt+shiftleft scrol backward
alt+shift+b same as pressing the back button
alt+shift+h same as pressing the home key
alt+shift+up open notifications
alt+shift+down start say all

Peter Vágner

Jan 22, 2015, 7:47:14 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I've just tweaked this. Attached is the resulting patch.

I'll build it later after I finish other stuff you were requesting if
Hrvoje or anyone else will not beat me . Smile

Greetings

Peter
0001-Keys-Instead-of-capslock-use-alt-and-instead-of-cont.patch

Nolan Darilek

Jan 22, 2015, 9:06:55 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Would you like commit access? If so, please send me a public SSH
key and desired username.

Once you have commit access, the repository URI becomes
ssh://g...@thewordnerd.info:2222/projects/spiel. You'll have commit
access to branches of the form
users/<username>/<whatever-you-want-here>. So you could check out any
branch of that pattern, apply your patch, commit, then push that branch
to the server. I'll then examine and pull it.

Unfortunately, my week's been derailed by an emergency which has more or
less been resolved, but everything has been set back by a few days. I
may not get to it this week, but the important thing is that the patch
will be in the repository and I can examine it quicker.

Thanks again!

Dennis Long

Jan 22, 2015, 9:56:59 AM1/22/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
thank you for doing I look forward to testing it once it is compiled and
built.