getting started with development

Robbie Murray

Apr 1, 2015, 4:58:48 PM4/1/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I would like to start understanding the spiel code, how it is built
and maybe start contributing. Does anyone have any tips for my
development environment? I am new to Scala, although I have read the
book "Programming in Scala". I am using eclipse on windows. Is it the
best option?

I'm a bit confused about gradle and sbt.

Will it work to build spiel from eclipse, or should I build it on my
Linux machine?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Robbie

Nolan Darilek

Apr 1, 2015, 5:10:41 PM4/1/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
I've never actually used Eclipse to build Spiel so don't know how it
works or if indeed it does.

I think ultimately I'd like to transition away from SBT to Gradle
because it seems to have a bit more development mindshare. I'd recommend
working with it going forward. Have you attempted to use it and had any
issues? It works fine for me under Windows, and I imagine would work
well on Linux too.

Robbie Murray

Apr 1, 2015, 5:28:27 PM4/1/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Do you use an IDE for development, or just a text editor?

I haven't tried building spiel yet, but I don't expect to have any
problems with Gradle. I just wasn't sure what the relationship between
Gradle and sbt was. All the Scala documentation seams to talk about SBT
exclusively. I take it Gradle is a replacement for SBT?

All I have done so far with eclipse is successfully compile and run a
Scala hello world.

Nolan Darilek

Apr 1, 2015, 5:39:20 PM4/1/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
I just use notepad++ and "./gradlew installDebug" from the command line.

Robbie Murray

Apr 1, 2015, 5:42:44 PM4/1/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Ok. That is certainly simpler than faffing about with the complexities of eclipse.

Hrvoje Katić

Apr 2, 2015, 3:09:54 AM4/2/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Yep, but Eclipse at least makes necessary Java module imports for You, so You don't have to think about what you should import while writing code.

LP,
Hrvoje

Private email: hrvoje...@yandex.com

Web site: Click here

Facebook: Click here

Twitter: Click here

Skype Id: hrvojekatic

Mobile: 095/585-7034

Robbie Murray

Apr 2, 2015, 2:55:55 PM4/2/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll keep trying with eclipse - it certainly has a lot of useful features, just quite a steep learning curve.  I especially like the fact that you can jump from a compile error straight to the location in the code.  I've found some info about Gradle integration for eclipse, so I'll take a look at that.