Re: inviting developers to join further development of spiel

Nolan Darilek

Jan 14, 2015, 11:05:27 AM1/14/15
to Spiel
Replying to this here as well:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Folks are certainly welcome to fork Spiel, but it's been years since
I've been approached by anyone willing to make a code contribution. That
doesn't include those who tell me they'd like to contribute someday,
which I don't even consider anymore since it's easier to say than do that.

So the main reason you don't see a lot of infrastructure for Spiel is
that there hasn't yet been enough need. The reason you don't see an
issue tracker is that I'm worried it will become Nolan's todo list, and
not a place where folks can look when searching for ways to contribute.

The main reason Spiel development has stopped is that I can no longer
carry it alone, and that it must be a community project to continue. I
should probably head it up, since there are lots of things done in lots
of ways for very specific reasons and I unfortunately am the only holder
of that knowledge, but I don't care enough to pursue the point if anyone
feels strongly to the contrary.

So, sure, fork away. But this is the first I've heard about anyone
actually willing to follow through on their plans to contribute code,
and if it's done under someone else's name and project, then it seems a
bit silly for me to even care about Spiel at all since others would
rather do their own thing elsewhere.

I'll once again extend an open invite to contribute to Spiel. There is
enough infrastructure to give developers namespaced branches on the main
repo, so I can certainly set you up with direct commit access. I'd also
welcome discussions on the spielp...@googlegroups.com list on how to
expand this (I'm a bit wary of Github due to access issues, and the
likelihood of essential project functions becoming inaccessible due to
site changes but I can be convinced.) But either way, whether as Spiel
or not, I'm glad the project continues.

On 1/14/2015 5:23 AM, Peter Vágner wrote:
> Hello,
> I wish you all guys luck however I am afraid this is not a proper way
> to move forward.
> By forking the spiel project the overal feeling signals you are unable
> to tolerate current situation with the spiel development in general.
> However no mather where the source code is stored, who is leading the
> team, what are the current plans and general opinions apart of a
> number of translations the only code contributor to spiel has always
> been and most likelly will remain Nolan its original author.
> If you guys like we can try working together learning more on
> accessibility related android development possibly extending spiel
> during this process. But please reconsider forking, splitting,
> changing the project goals whatever unless there is no other option
> left. Do you guys know Nolan has been working several years on this?
> Do you also know that he is verry friendly and talented software
> developer? Except working on the spiel development he has contributed
> to a number of recognized open source projects and he him self
> encourages free and open source developments where they make sense. He
> has always been open to any kind of cooperation and most likelly he is
> still open up to now. We have seen no public feature proposals,
> patches, well written materials, support requests, answers, community
> activity of any kind on the spiel email list or on other public
> places. Such a project like spiel is requires to have knowledgeable
> and skilled developer on board. Whether By forking and creating the
> team consisting of mostly novice developers you can succeed and
> overcome the lack of development has still to be seen. However why not
> to create plugins or patches or pull requests whatever in terms of
> code contribution first and then let's talk about administration,
> project hosting and other related stuff. No one of us was able to
> contribute to this open source project up to now. And shal we all
> believe the situation will change and contributions should appear once
> the code is relocated, name is changed and more and more people have
> joined the team without first publishing something significant?
>
> I am sorry to bring a bit different view on this matter however to me
> it is getting somewhat disrespectfull towards Nolan.
>
> Greetings
>
> Peter
>
> On 14.01.2015 o 11:04 Akash Kakkar wrote:
>> hi Beqa, Please add me too, my github username is: akashgalaxy07
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 2:59 PM, beqa gozalishvili
>> <beqa...@gmail.com <mailto:beqa...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> ok, if you agree i will make a new list called asra-dev and we can
> [...]

Dennis Long

Jan 14, 2015, 11:13:03 AM1/14/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
are there any keyboard commands for spiel?

Kyle

Jan 14, 2015, 3:45:53 PM1/14/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
I'm 100% with Nolan on this one. Fact is I'm a regular Spiel user, and
would love to see the project continue, especially if it's under the
same name, but with the community behind it. There are just so many
things that it gets right and does well, text granularity changes,
access to battery and signal indicators, the Jango Radio app and the way
it handles explore by touch, i.e. allowing me to double-tap anything it
speaks on screen or to single-tap directly on something that I have
located and know exactly how to find being four very important examples.
I'd hate to see the project die under any circumstances, although I
don't have any knowledge of the codebase to help in that way. I would,
however, love to see the Play Store version updated, or if not that, a
release to f-droid, so that updated builds can be downloaded easily.
Whether it continues as Spiel or is renamed, I definitely want to see
new development and to keep using the software with community
participation, and if Spiel's lead developer wants to continue heading
up the project, and since he is willing to give collaborators direct
commit access, I say definitely join the Spiel project itself and give
it the new life that it so greatly deserves.
Sent from my coffee maker
--
"Don't judge my disability until you are able to see my ability."
~Kyle: https://kyle.tk/

Dennis Long

Jan 14, 2015, 3:47:39 PM1/14/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
are there keyboard commands for spiel?

Hareth alhamdany

Jan 14, 2015, 4:15:37 PM1/14/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Nolan
great thanks for your hard work,
my best for you on your new projects and spiel of cource.
+1 Kyle,
best regards

Nolan Darilek

Jan 14, 2015, 4:26:28 PM1/14/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but that isn't what this thread is about. Please start another
thread for your question, thanks.

Peter Vágner

Jan 14, 2015, 5:00:53 PM1/14/15
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
There are two spiel issues I am trying to revisit my-self from time to
time. For example today I have spend several hours trying to find a fix
for one of them.
The checkable objects found in the webcontent in firefox do not report
their state when flicking nor when touching thier spots.
By reading the logcat output I believe I have found a correct presenter
class where this is handled but being only a novice in this area I can't
figure out what's wrong. There appears to be code checking for
ischeckable property iterating over all the child source nodes. Without
being able to get a hint from somewhere this is just tryal and error on
my part. But still if anyone else is interested in the same thing and
has delved a bit into the code perhaps we can work together.

I am sorry if I sound too demanding.

Greetings

Peter