Updated build

Peter Vágner

Nov 3, 2014, 3:56:14 PM11/3/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have missed some impressive updates to spiel at the beginning of
september. About two weeks ago one of my friends brought that to my
atention.
Today I have managed to build the latest master branch using android-sdk
23, sbt 0.13.6 on arch linux.
The resulting build does work, the launcher, menus, settings and similar
things can be accessed without issue, I am happy to feel this excelent
performance boost as compared to talkback.
And however here is a little issue. When browsing some rich content for
example a page in firefox, an email in gmail, a list of messages in
aquamail it is not possible to navigate when the granularity is set to
none. Only character, word, paragraph are working.
I will be tinkering with this a bit more but I am curious if this is a
platform change, something with me or just a work in progress.

Thanks and greetings

Peter

Hrvoje Katić

Nov 4, 2014, 6:39:06 AM11/4/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
So do we have to change something inside the code in order to build successfully or not?

LP,
Hrvoje

Posjetite moj web site - klikni ovdje

Pratite me na Facebook-u - klikni ovdje

Pratite me na Twitter-u - klikni ovdje

Skype Id: hrvojekatic

Mob: 095/585-7034

Peter Vágner

Nov 11, 2014, 2:43:41 AM11/11/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I am sorry for such a late reply.
This is how I have built it on Arch linux.
0) Installed all the required tools from the AUR...
android-sdk
android-sdk-build-tools
android-sdk-platform-tools
android-platform
android-support
android-support-repository
1) Made sure the following enviromment variable is properly exported (I do have the following line in ~/.bashrc )
export ANDROID_SDK_HOME=/opt/android-sdk
2) Also installed sbt from the official repositories
pacman -S sbt
3) Cloned the spiel repo
git clone https://thewordnerd.info/scm/projects/spiel
4) Ran the build process as follows from the spiel source tree top level directory
cd spiel
sbt android:package-release
5) Previous step generated a file
target/android-bin/Spiel-release-unsigned.apk
6) I have created my keystore a while ago using eclipse it can also be done from the command line as follows
keytool -genkey -keystore ~/.keystore -alias whateveryouralias
7) Then signed the package...
jarsigner -sigalg MD5withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -keystore ~/.keystore target/android-bin/Spiel-release-unsigned.apk whateveryouralias
8) And finally zipaligned - check your patch to zipalign or export it into $PATH envirommend variable if you like
/opt/android-sdk/build-tools/21.0.2/zipalign 4 target/android-bin/Spiel-release-unsigned.apk target/android-bin/Spiel-release-signed.apk

Please note all of the commands are single lines which might have wrapped in your email program.
That's the resulting apk I can install on my device.
In order to install it you will have to first uninstall any other spiel build you might have installed previously as the key used to sign this new package does not match with the official build or any other build you may have received from anyone else.

Greetings

Peter

Hrvoje Katić

Nov 11, 2014, 3:30:17 AM11/11/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,     I will try this when I will be at my Linux machine at home.

LP,
Hrvoje

Posjetite moj web site - klikni ovdje

Pratite me na Facebook-u - klikni ovdje

Pratite me na Twitter-u - klikni ovdje

Skype Id: hrvojekatic

Mob: 095/585-7034

Nolan Darilek

Nov 11, 2014, 12:51:19 PM11/11/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
You shouldn't need to generate your own key and sign the build. That
should automatically happen as part of the process.

Also, I've just pushed changes that should vastly simplify this. I'm
experimenting with switching the build away from SBT to Gradle. Android
projects are standardizing on Gradle as it is Google's new(er) choice of
build tool, and vastly more pleasant to work with than is Ant. Further,
it's a more competent system than SBT IMHO, and since scripting was
removed in favor of eventually reintroducing it as a plugin, I've been
able to switch away from SBT to the Gradle Scala Android plugin under
active development.

Using the experimental Gradle-based system, you don't need to install
anything other than the JDK and Android SDK. Simply run:

./gradlew installDebug

from your checkout. This will fetch a local Gradle install, compile the
sources and install a debug build signed with your local key onto a
device or emulator. There are ways to speed up Gradle builds, see its
manual at http://gradle.org and read up on the Gradle daemon.

I've committed fixes for the Firefox content regression and a couple
other bugs I've noticed as well.

On 11/11/2014 2:30 AM, Hrvoje Katić wrote:
> Thanks, I will try this when I will be at my Linux machine at home.
>

> LP,
> Hrvoje
>
> Posjetite moj web site - klikni ovdje <http://hrvix.wordpress.com/>
>
> Pratite me na Facebook-u - klikni ovdje <http://www.facebook.com/hrvix>
>
> Pratite me na Twitter-u - klikni ovdje <http://www.twitter.com/hrvix>
>>> Posjetite moj web site - klikni ovdje <http://hrvix.wordpress.com/>
>>>
>>> Pratite me na Facebook-u - klikni ovdje <http://www.facebook.com/hrvix>
>>>
>>> Pratite me na Twitter-u - klikni ovdje <http://www.twitter.com/hrvix>
>>> <mailto:spielproject...@googlegroups.com>.
>>> <mailto:spielp...@googlegroups.com>.
>>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/spielproject.

Peter Vágner

Nov 11, 2014, 2:23:30 PM11/11/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I have got gradle and related stuff installed here as well as some
projects I've tinkered with are already using it e.g. eSpeak for android.
Usually debug keystore comes with android sdk by default but on arch
linux this is not the case so I've just generated my own keystore to
workaround this on my end.
Thanks for the fixes I'm going to test them as soon as I can.

Greetings

Peter

Peter Vágner

Nov 11, 2014, 2:54:05 PM11/11/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Sorry for the double posting.
For now I have built using SBT. Here are a few things I have noticed:
- navigating in firefox is working like it should. However when there
are checkable objects inside the document content in firefox their state
does not appear to be announced as a part of their text. This includes
e.g. checkboxes or radio buttons on the web sites you browse in firefox.
I was under the impression that this commit from 11 september should
address this: b63515210f2e40b857307733c4f90f999dcbc901 . Am I wrong?
Might there be more apps which are not navigable using spiel? e.g. I
have noticed spiel can't see content of list in aquamail. It only
reports blank instead of the text of given entries.

Greetings

Peter

Nolan Darilek

Nov 12, 2014, 10:56:20 AM11/12/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
See if Aquamail works with the changes I just committed. I did lots of
work combining grouped text fields and checkbox labels into a single
presentational unit, but that also needs to selectively silence some
text so it isn't presented twice, and I just pushed a change that makes
this somewhat smarter.

Dennis Long

Nov 12, 2014, 12:17:50 PM11/12/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com

Can you send me a apk?

Dennis Long
Sent from my Android phone using Aqua Mail

Peter Vágner

Nov 12, 2014, 3:13:55 PM11/12/14
to spielp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
Thank you verry much for the update.
Lists found in Aqua mail are now handled better because now the content
is read. Unfortunatelly it still needs tweaking. These lists contain
various child elements. Now the logic is that some of these are filtered
out in spiel presentation. In aqua mail all of them should be presented
because the author has labelled it to the best of his abilities.

Greetings

Peter