New Search Engines - Can Anyone Beat Google?

Titus Hoskins

Jul 29, 2009, 12:12:04 PM7/29/09
to Spider-Sear...@googlegroups.com

Free-Reprint Article Written by: Titus Hoskins
See Terms of Reprint Below.

*
*
* Spider-Sear...@googlegroups.com
*

This article has been distributed by:
http://Article-Distribution.com

Helpful Link:

Article Title:
==============

New Search Engines - Can Anyone Beat Google?

Article Description:
====================

Seems like everyone is talking about Bing but will we ever
have another search engine that can actually give Google a
run for its money? Can any new search engine actual compete
with this industry giant?

Additional Article Information:
===============================

Distribution Date and Time: 2009-07-29 11:12:00

Written By: Titus Hoskins
Copyright: 2009
Contact Email: mailto:con...@bizwaremagic.com

Titus Hoskins's Picture URL:
http://www.titushoskins.com/webme2.JPG

For more free-reprint articles by Titus Hoskins, please visit:
http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/titus-hoskins.html

If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
us know where you have used this article, and we will
include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=6874&p=load

Versions Of Article Are Available at:
http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/h/can-anyone-beat-google.shtml#get_code

New Search Engines - Can Anyone Beat Google?
Copyright (c) 2009 Titus Hoskins
Bizware Magic
http://www.bizwaremagic.com

Can any new search engine beat Google, probably not, mainly
because Google isn't going anywhere but up. It is the dominant
search engine with around 72 percent of U.S. online searches and
its percentages are much higher in other parts of the world.
(Source: Hitwise) However, there are some serious new competitors
that may just take a bite out of Google's rosy search numbers.
Never know, one or several of them, may just give Google a run
for those all important search engine dollars.

Recently, there has been a whole army of new search engines
debuting on the web. If you're a full-time online marketer like
me, you really have to keep your eyes open to what is happening
on the web, especially relating to search engines which deliver
most of your quality traffic. Also keep in mind, this piece may
be fairly biased since Google is directly or indirectly
responsible for around 80% of my online revenue, so any opinions
may be slanted in Google's favor, not that they need any favors
from me or anyone.

But as an online marketer you have to try to remain objective and
examine all angles in regards to these new search engines.
Despite this, in marketing and webmaster circles, everyone will
know even if you have the number one ranking for a certain
keyword in all three major engines Google, Yahoo! and MSN -
Google supplies the most traffic, hands down.

Despite its obvious dominance, Google is still basically the new
kid on the block. We have to remember, there have been many
search engines before Google and there will be many more search
engines after Google. Every entity has its day and then hands the
torch along to whatever comes next. It's one of those subtle
facts of life we all learn eventually.

Everybody has their day - empires, countries, leaders,
companies... or even search engines. Are Google's days as top
dog really numbered? Probably not in the immediate future, but
there are some new kids on the block that could definitely kick
some sand in the face of Google and stir things up, we might even
see a few serious squabbles here and there.

In a recent article on CNN, by John D. Sutter, entitled "New
Search Engines Aspire To Supplement Google" the author examines
some recent new search engines. The author discusses: Twine,
Hakia, Searchme, Cuil, Kosmix, Wolfram Alpha, Topsy, TweetMeme
and OneRiot. Each of these are different, making your web search
more personal, more visual, or connecting your search to new
social networks like FaceBook and Twitter.

Some experts say Wolfram Alpha is the most likely candidate to
give Google some serious competition because Wolfram can do
something Google can't; it can create information rather than
just reading/presenting content already on the web. Will it
present a solid threat to Google's dominance?

Perhaps, a more fitting sparring partner will come from an old
rival with very deep, deep pockets. We are talking about the new
search engine from Microsoft called Bing, which is very similar
to Google in many ways, yet different. Bing's results are very
similar to Google in a lot of ways, yet Bing serves up the
results in a very pleasing arrangement, with a nice preview
button for each listing and giving you related searches and your
search history on the left hand side. Only time will tell if
everyone would rather be binging instead of googling. To Bing or
not to Bing, that is the question? There's a very informative
article on Bing by Farhad Manjoo on Slate entitled: "Beware
Google: Microsoft's New Search Engine Isn't Half-bad." Just
Bing or Google to find it!

I personally like this search engine much better than MSN mainly
because the home page of Bing is very appealing and only has the
search box on it so you're not distracted with other news
listings like on MSN and Yahoo! One of the main reasons for
Google's success, besides the superior search results, has been
its simplicity. Keep it simple and you may just be able to
compete.

Then again, this is a bit of a biased judgment, since many of my
own keywords and sites rank high in Bing; some even higher than
they are listed in Google. I routinely monitor countless keyword
phrases in all the search engines and lately Google has been
favoring big Brand Name listings on their first page results. We
are also seeing more Product Listings (Old Froogle), more video
and more news listings... competition for Google's first page
has become multi-layered and extremely competitive. What's a
poor small online marketer to do when Google goes corporate?

Actually, Bing is not my favorite search engine of the new ones
forcing their way into the spotlight.

For me, the one that shows the most promise and may give Google
some competition is Searchme, which is a visual search (much like
the iTunes interface) where you can shuffle through screenshots
of webpages instead of a list of links. Searchme, which touts
itself as the first multimedia search engine, has been around for
a few years but is not widely known to web users. Performing a
search on Searchme with a 24 inch monitor and 64-bit Windows is a
hundred times more enjoyable than using Google Search or Bing for
that matter. It is a hundred times faster than Google mainly
because you can generally find your information without clicking
through to the sites displayed.

Searchme is truly an eye opener but can it give Google some
serious competition. The jury is still out, but I believe over
time as web users upgrade their computers, operating systems, and
their graphics... Searchme will be more accessible to more web
users. Never know, with the right backing and marketing, any of
these search engines, especially Searchme and Bing could blossom
into a formidable opponent even for the mighty Google.

Here's why: Human Nature!

Whether we admit it or not, most of us (Humans) are lazy, we want
the fastest and easiest route to solving any question or problem.
Searchme gives us the answer much quicker than Google and in a
much nicer way. Mainly because we are also visual creatures,
given the choice between receiving pages of text and viewing
images of sites/answers, most of us will take the visual route -
we will choose TV over radio, music videos over records... video
enhanced content over just plain static HTML. As the web turns
into more of an interactive multimedia operation; visual search
will always win out over text search any day of the year.

Most humans also have a need for speed, in our fast paced life
styles, we all want a speedy solution to our problems. Search is
no different, we want quick answers now, we want instant
solutions and immediate gratification. Nature of the beast. If
Searchme, Bing or any of the other search engines becomes faster
than Google at giving the right answer, then it's a whole new
ballgame.

Google must obviously know there are challenges to its search
engine dominance. Otherwise, why would they be offering many new
features in their SERPs; we are seeing more images and videos.
Plus, Google has just introduced the "show options" link at the
top of their SERPs, which presents their search results in many
different ways. They even have introduced the "Wonder Wheel" as
another viewing option, which gives a whole new way of using
Google's search results.

Google's Achilles' Heel may just be the thing that gives it all
its revenue: text ads. There may be a backlash on all those
Google ads littered across the web, especially among the younger
computer savvy crowd using such sites like the Google owned
YouTube, where Google has nearly obliterated the videos with its
ads. Everyone dislikes advertising, no matter what form it takes.

However, any news of Google's demise will be greatly
exaggerated, because Google, like any smart company with tons of
resources, has kept morphing and changing with the times, quickly
adapting to new features as our usage of the web keeps changing.
Google has perfected the art of staying one step ahead of the
competition. This is one champion that won't go down without a
fight to the finish. Top dogs rarely do.

If they ever present a serious challenge to Google, Searchme,
Bing or any of the above search engines, will have a formidable
opponent in the opposing corner, one that has gained almost
insurmountable prestige and brand recognition around the world.
Any major battle will instantly have a "David vs Goliath"
scenario attached to it. And we all know how that one played out!

The author is a full-time online marketer who has numerous
niche sites. These 10 SEO Tactics Bring Me Over 2000
Visitors Daily: http://www.bizwaremagic.com/seo_tips.htm
To learn more Internet Marketing Tactics try:
http://www.marketingtoolguide.com
Copyright (c) 2009 Titus Hoskins. This article may be
freely distributed if this resource box stays attached.

--- END ARTICLE ---

http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/h/can-anyone-beat-google.shtml#get_code

TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
(Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

*** Digital Reprint Rights ***

Hyperlinks (clickable links).

within the article.

*** Author Notification ***

or her work. Titus Hoskins can be reached at:
con...@bizwaremagic.com

for Print Permission at:
mailto:con...@bizwaremagic.com

ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

and opinion of its author, Titus Hoskins
http://www.bizwaremagic.com