reST markup error: :16: (SEVERE/4) Unexpected section title

anurag garg

May 26, 2021, 2:42:09 PM5/26/21
to sphinx-users
Hi Sphinx users, I am trying to update my orgs sphinx version from 1.8.3 to 4.0.1. When I run the `make docs` on the updated version I get a reST markup error: :16: (SEVERE/4) Unexpected section title. Is there a way I can find which file has the issue?

Komiya Takeshi

May 29, 2021, 11:47:28 AM5/29/21
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please check what command is invoked on "make docs". Basically, Sphinx
outputs a warning with its filename. So I guess this might be a
warning from other tool.

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMYA

2021年5月27日(木) 3:42 anurag garg <anura...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Sphinx users, I am trying to update my orgs sphinx version from 1.8.3 to 4.0.1. When I run the `make docs` on the updated version I get a reST markup error: :16: (SEVERE/4) Unexpected section title. Is there a way I can find which file has the issue?

anurag garg

Jun 2, 2021, 11:24:20 AM6/2/21
to sphinx-users
Hi Takeshi,

The make docs just calls : cd docs and make html.

The `make html` is calling: `sphinx-build -b html -d _build/doctrees  -w warnings.txt . _build/html`

Thanks,
Anurag

anurag garg

Jun 2, 2021, 12:30:30 PM6/2/21
to sphinx-users
The warnings.txt also has this error:-

^[[91mreST markup error:^[[39;49;00m
:16: (SEVERE/4) Unexpected section title.

So I believe its emitted by Sphinx itself.

Komiya Takeshi

Jun 3, 2021, 12:53:46 PM6/3/21
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... I don't have any idea to investigate what file is wrong.
Perhaps, -v option might help you.
Sorry for not helping you.

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA

2021年6月3日(木) 0:24 anurag garg <anura...@gmail.com>:
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sphinx-users/f9d3b9da-6dc2-408b-9209-10eec65a1cfbn%40googlegroups.com.

anurag garg

Jun 8, 2021, 1:08:25 PM6/8/21
to sphinx-users
Hi Takeshi Komiya,

I was wondering if you are willing to help me look more into this. I work on the OCI Python SDK project. The project can be found in github at https://github.com/oracle/oci-python-sdk. To reproduce the error we would need to update the sphinx and autodocsummnary in the requirements.txt file. After this we need to comment out https://github.com/oracle/oci-python-sdk/blob/master/docs/conf.py#L271 as this feature is no longer supported in the newer Sphinx release. Then we can run `make docs` from the main directory.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
Anurag

anurag garg

Jun 15, 2021, 11:12:25 AM6/15/21
to sphinx-users
Hi Takeshi Komiya,

The -v option just prints the version. I could not find any verbose option from the help menu.

Thanks,
Anurag