numref not working within included .rst files

Doug Livezey

Apr 6, 2022, 12:20:43 PM4/6/22
to sphinx-users
I am authoring a document in restructured text. I often use the .. include:: directive to break up sections to allow for easier collaboration.

The error I receive is: WARNING: Failed to create a cross reference. Any number is not assigned: trynumber1

This is presented when running sphinx-build. The name label "trynumber1" is contained within a .rst file that is included from another .rst file.

If I back out the included file, essentially merging the text of the included file back into the main, the issue goes away. I found an article about this, which didn't appear to have any resolution.

Is this a known issue? Is anyone working on a fix, or know of any other work arounds?

I am not familiar with this forum, and I am not a developer, so hopefully posting the question here is appropriate.

Thanks,
Doug

Doug Livezey

Apr 11, 2022, 9:31:25 AM4/11/22
to sphinx-users
I did find a bug that was logged last year for this issue here.