Correcting reference to IRC channel on Sphinx website

logi...@mailbox.org

Dec 14, 2021, 5:50:09 AM12/14/21
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

I would like to put forward a proposal which is rather trivial and concerns the Sphinx website. The Getting help section refers readers to the Sphinx IRC channel #sphinx-doc on irc.freenode.net. However, there are currently only 6 users in there. Most probably, you—like many others—have moved to the identically named channel on irc.libera.chat in the course of the mass migration this year. There are also more users in there—merely 15 at present, but still more.

Therefore, if my assumptions are correct, I would like to request adapting the reference to the Sphinx IRC channel in the Getting help section mentioned so it points users to #sphinx-doc on irc.libera.chat.

Additionally, the Questions? Suggestions? section on the main page would have to be adapted accordingly, too, so it points users to Libera.Chat instead of FreeNode.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Ryan

Juan Luis Cano Rodríguez

Dec 14, 2021, 6:23:27 AM12/14/21
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,

Just a note: there is an open pull request already https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/pull/9287 do you think it is enough? Feel free to leave a comment there

Cheers,
Read the Docs

logi...@mailbox.org

Dec 14, 2021, 8:20:27 AM12/14/21
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com

Hi Juan,

Thanks for referring me to it. I missed that there already is an open pull request for that topic. However, that one only updates the reference to "FreeNode" in the side panel on the Sphinx main page. I've just created another pull request which also changes "irc.freenode.net" to "irc.libera.chat" in the Contribution guide.

My pull request #9972 refers to #9287 in the details. It's automatically been inserted in the comments of #9287 as a reference.

I think we can consider this topic as addressed and handed over to the maintainers for approval.

Best regards,

Ryan