duplicate target names - from autodoc?

Mats Wichmann

Sep 27, 2022, 12:14:44 PM9/27/22
to sphinx-users
As many other people have reported over time I'm plagued with lots of duplicate target names, but... while it claims they're  "explicit" I'm not responsible for these, they're generated, so the suggestion of adding a second trailing underscore to links isn't applicable - these aren't written out in the source as rst links with targets.  It's a non-trivial project, and different modules import other modules quite frequently, is this the cause of these "duplicates".  A typical message:

<string>:7: (WARNING/2) Duplicate explicit target name: "(scons.node.fs.dir method)".

A current build spews over 2000 of these, which winnows down to 120 unique messages.  Nothing is "broken" by this specifically but the excess amount of output contributes to a general attitude in the developer community that "Sphinx is just noisy, ignore it".

Any suggestions how one might mitigate this?