theme sidebar configuration

bradley...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2022, 1:00:08 AM8/21/22
to sphinx-users
The furo theme (with its default setting) has two side bars. The left side bar contains the contents tree for the web pages. The right side bar contains the contents tree for each individual page.  This is a very nice feature because headings within a web page do not affect the overall contents tree. This facilitates moving a sub tree to a different location in the web page contents tree (in the spirit of incremental iterative development).

Are there other themes that enable one to see these two trees separately ?

Max Lange

Aug 21, 2022, 3:44:43 PM8/21/22
to sphinx-users
The sphinx_book_theme supports this.

bradley...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2022, 10:46:07 AM8/22/22
to sphinx-users
Thanks for the pointer. I was able to get the desired result using

html_theme_options = {
        'show_toc_level' : 4
 }

I was not able to find documentatiton for this setting on

But I did find it in

bradley...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2022, 1:37:28 PM8/22/22
to sphinx-users
It appears that sphinx_book_theme uses much more disk space that sphinx_rtd_theme. Here is a comparison for a project I am working on:

sphinx_book_theme
du -s doc
6008    doc

sphinx_rtd_theme
du -s doc
2324    doc

I am using gh-pages on github to display documentation and am concerned about the size of the footprint of the documentation.