HHC5013 - special characters encoded in hhk file

Adrien Laveau

Apr 17, 2024, 3:19:18 AMApr 17
to sphinx-users

Our software uses Sphinx to produce documentation, website, chm etc... We are trying to switch from to python2.7 to python3.11 One of the blocking point is the following : We run sphinx -b htmlhelp and then we run hhc.exe on the output to produce the CHM.

Doing so provokes the following error and the chm is corrupted

HHC5013: Error: runtime error R6002 - floating point not loaded

After investigation I realized that the produced files (.hhp,.hhc etc..) are different (with sphinx ran on the same input files and same configuration of course)

And especially some special characters in the hhc file "}" are encoded. Changing them back manually to their original value seems to fix the problem. Left : file created with python 2.7 --> works Right : file created with python 3.11 --> does not work

enter image description here

Indeed the correct file name is

src/functions/@f{lastprintdate}.html

  • Why is the reason for this discrepancy?

  • Am I doing something wrong ?

  • Am I missing a configuration update from python2.7 to python3.11?