Sphinx example sites using Algolia search engine, others?

Mikko Ohtamaa

May 25, 2023, 8:45:16 AM5/25/23
to sphinx-users
Hi all,

As Sphinx's default search is not very powerful, I am looking an alternative plug-and-play solution to improve the usability of the search.

Are there example sites using different search backends for Sphinx?

I have one site using Algolia, who seem to dominate in this space, but are there other example sites or example search engines that would not take too much time to set up?

Using sphinx_rtd_theme and furo themes.

Br,
Mikko

Tom Diaz

Jan 26, 2024, 11:39:27 AMJan 26
to sphinx-users
Mikko,

I'm looking for the same thing.

Did you decide to go with algolia?

Did you find other candidates?

Tom

Mikko Ohtamaa

Jan 26, 2024, 12:19:38 PMJan 26
to sphinx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

I'm looking for the same thing.

Did you decide to go with algolia?

Did you find other candidates?

We decided to go with Typesense, which is open-source. We find the Typesense community awesome. Typesense's search has an order of magnitude better user experience than Sphinx's built-in search engine.

You can find example documentation and search here:

You can find the setup in this Github repository:

We are hosting our own Typesense in a Docker which we update after Github Actions rebuilds the docs.

You can also find this tutorial https://writeexperience.co/integrating-typesense-with-sphinx-readthedocs-template-a-step-by-step-guide/ (it's still a lot of work to integrate).

Happy to answer any questions.

Br,
MIkko

Tom

On Thursday, May 25, 2023 at 8:45:16 AM UTC-4 Mikko Ohtamaa wrote:
Hi all,

As Sphinx's default search is not very powerful, I am looking an alternative plug-and-play solution to improve the usability of the search.

Are there example sites using different search backends for Sphinx?

I have one site using Algolia, who seem to dominate in this space, but are there other example sites or example search engines that would not take too much time to set up?

Using sphinx_rtd_theme and furo themes.

Br,
Mikko

bradley...@gmail.com

Feb 4, 2024, 6:57:45 AMFeb 4
to sphinx-users
xrst builds its own search page for each web site it builds; e.g., see
https://xrst.readthedocs.io/latest/xrst_search.html

What I could not figure out (from the sphinx documentation) was how to replace the normal search with this page ?

Mikko Ohtamaa

Feb 5, 2024, 6:18:28 AMFeb 5
to sphinx-users
On Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 12:57:45 PM UTC+1 bradley...@gmail.com wrote:
xrst builds its own search page for each web site it builds; e.g., see
https://xrst.readthedocs.io/latest/xrst_search.html

What I could not figure out (from the sphinx documentation) was how to replace the normal search with this page ?

Indeed the Sphinx documentation on the topic is quite minimal.

Sphinx HTML templating is based on Jinja. It's just templated HTML, JavaScript and CSS. A developer needs to have some experience working with Jinja templates, and also experience with HTML.

Depending on theme
- You find the template for the current search widget in your theme
- You replace the relevant HTML code

You can find example here:

Note that this is for a custom Furo-theme, not the default Sphinx theme.

Br,
MIkko