This environment is incompatible with the selected builder, please choose another doctree directory.

Matt Documatt

Dec 20, 2021, 4:16:10 PM12/20/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi, everybody!
I would like to ask you for help. I develop a Sphinx extension for showing values from external files like UI labels, menu selections, etc.(https://gitlab.com/documatt/sphinxcontrib-constdata). I only struggle to pass all the tests.

Most of tests is using sphinx.testing.fixtures's app fixture. The only three tests* sometimes crash with

This environment is incompatible with the selected builder, please choose another doctree directory.

and another time, they succeed. On my laptop, they fail for the first time, succeed for the another time. The same when run on CI (GitLab CI and python:3.8 Docker image).

How it is possible? What does this error actually mean? This error is also NOT shown if manually building the sample project.

I would appreciate any ideas because I'm already pretty desperate :-)

(* Affected tests are https://gitlab.com/documatt/sphinxcontrib-constdata/-/blob/dev/tests/test_l10n.py#L26, https://gitlab.com/documatt/sphinxcontrib-constdata/-/blob/dev/tests/test_l10n.py#L37 and https://gitlab.com/documatt/sphinxcontrib-constdata/-/blob/dev/tests/test_l10n.py#L48)

--
Matt
https://techwriter.documatt.com

Komiya Takeshi

Dec 22, 2021, 12:46:04 PM12/22/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The message is shown when the versioning methods of builders are
different between the previous and current builds.
In built-in builders, only gettext builder uses the versioning method.
So it would be conflicted if you're using 3rd party builder using
another versioning method.

I'm not familiar with the versioning methods. So I can't describe it well...

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA