Docutils beta release 0.18b1 out

Guenter Milde

Oct 7, 2021, 12:04:12 PM10/7/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
On 2021-10-05, engelbert gruber wrote in docutils-user:

> anyone who wants to try it out can install it from pypi

> pip install --pre docutils

> or better in an virtualenvironment

> python3 -m venv du3
> cd du3
> pip install --pre docutils

There are a bunch of changes__ that may need adaption on the Sphinx side

__ https://docutils.sourceforge.io/RELEASE-NOTES.html#release-0-18b1-2021-10-05

Please test and report issues to docutils...@lists.sourceforge.net

Günter

Guenter Milde

Oct 13, 2021, 5:33:28 AM10/13/21
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sphinx developers, dear Takeshi,

On 2021-10-07, Guenter Milde wrote:

> Docutils 0.18b out

Besides many bug fixes and improvements,
> There are a bunch of changes__ that may need adaption on the Sphinx side

> __ https://docutils.sourceforge.io/RELEASE-NOTES.html#release-0-18b1-2021-10-05

> Please test and report issues to docutils...@lists.sourceforge.net

We did not receive any problem reports and the tests of Sphinx with
the HEAD of the Docutils version repository suggest that it should be safe
to lift the upper compatibility limit in the Spinx development version
(master) to

'docutils>=0.14,<1.0'

This would ensure a smooth transition and is important for compatibility
tests when Docutils 0.18 comes out and the Docutils repository HEAD will
become version 1.0b1.dev.

The pinning in Sphinx 4.x should stay at 'docutils>=0.14,<0.18' unless there
is positive feedback from the downstream tests.

Thanks,

Günter

Guenter Milde

Oct 13, 2021, 8:11:01 AM10/13/21

On 2021-10-13, Guenter Milde wrote:

>> Docutils 0.18b out

> Besides many bug fixes and improvements,
>> There are a bunch of changes__ that may need adaption on the Sphinx side

>> __ https://docutils.sourceforge.io/RELEASE-NOTES.html#release-0-18b1-2021-10-05

>> Please test and report issues to docutils...@lists.sourceforge.net

> We did not receive any problem reports

Sorry, I overlooked Takeshi's mail telling that there are some problems that
require attention and will take some days to fix.

The current pinning to <0.18 ensures releasing Docutils 0.18 does no harm.

The next development version will be 0.18.1b.dev. If required, there will
be a release 0.18.1 to fix hidden bugs and compatibility problems -- if
everything is fine, we skip 0.18.1 and go towards 1.0.

Günter

eric.h...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2021, 3:44:34 PM10/14/21
to sphinx-dev
Thanks for the updates on the docutils roadmap -- and congrats on closing in on 1.0!

Cheers,
Eric