Visitor functions for xml builder not called for custom directive

Bradley Miller

Jun 29, 2021, 2:30:44 PM6/29/21
to sphinx-dev
Hi again,

I'm working on having my html extension output xml when I use the xml builder.

So...

I modified my add_node call in my setup function as follows and added the two functions

app.add_node(ActivcodeNode, xml=(start_pretext, end_pretext), html=(visit_ac_node, depart_ac_node) )

However two questions:

First:
start_pretext is never called.  I added a pdb.set_trace() as the first line of that function. Nope, not called.  Any ideas?  It seems like xml is the correct builder name to use.

Second:
My ActiveCode node constructor gets called TWICE when I'm trying to do an xml build.  Once from exactly where I would expect in my code but a second time from a deep_copy somewhere.  The html builder only calls this constructor once as I would expect.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!  I've written a bunch of custom directives for my runestone project but they have all been targeted at html output.  Generating XML is a new direction for me, so maybe I'm just missing something basic when you are going to target multiple builders for an extension.

Thanks,

Brad