Hands

richt...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2007, 10:53:48 AM11/14/07
to Readers Anonymous
An ongoing point that I have noticed throughout the book is the
placement or the use of hands. I only started picking up on it at
about the half way mark but since then it is interesting to see how
Greene uses them to further illustrate ongoing action. To a lesser
author I would dismiss this as poor writing but with Greene it is
subtle enough that it works.

Places I have noticed it:

Sarah and Maurice in the chapel: Sarah piously having her hands folded
in her lap; Maurice with his arm around her trying to stroke her
breast

Henry and Maurice, towards the end: Maurice offers to take matters
"Out of his hands." (pg. 113)

Sarah's hands when she is praying to God after the robots attack
drawing blood.

Richard Smythes "extraordinary" hands that he tries to get Sarah to
look at while petting his cat.

I don't know, I'll probably have to re-read it to get the full gist
but... kind of interesting