Sarah

richt...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2007, 11:08:39 AM11/12/07
to Readers Anonymous
About half way done and still very much enjoying the book. I would be
interested in finding feminist theory on Sarah. She comes across
frustrating in a way because she takes what she wants then laments
when she feels life, God or other self created circumstances lodge
themselves in her way. She continually refers to herself as a "fake
and a bitch" but really I can't find anything fake about her; if she
sees something that she wants she takes it, regardless of the
complications. A very interesting character she comes across as the
true alpha male in the story with Maurice being the passive aggressive
beta male and Henry being... well, I don't know, the seta Male. It's
been a while since I've studied Greek.

Sarah seems like an easy sort of woman to fall in love with quickly
and, like the narrator says, somebody that is also easy to hate
because she puts herself into a victim's roll. It's interesting, also
to try to reverse genders and to see how the novel would work if Sarah
would've been a man and Henry and Maurice would've been females.

richt...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2007, 11:10:32 AM11/20/07
to Readers Anonymous
I completely disagree with you and think that you're a moron. Did you
even read this book? Maybe you should start reading kiddy books again
and see if those register with you. Not Seuss of course, I don't
think that you would be able to even understand anything that is going
on with that. No, for somebody of your ineptitude you should return
to the basics and eat books. Pull pages out whole handfuls at a time
and work the body of the book into a stew. Perhaps by doing this
you'll be able to possess the soul of the book and be able to compete
in life more graciously.

richt...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2007, 11:19:59 AM11/20/07
to Readers Anonymous
You damn fool, you have no idea what you're talking about. Eating a
book will never work. Obviously you're the sort of low life
degenerate that has been holed up in a spider hole reading mein kampf
for the past 70 years. I know you're type all the way and that you
were sent to kill Trotsky down in Brazil. Well, sir, you may have
delivered on that promise but you'll sure as hell have a hard time
being able to take down the likes of this website. Not when we
staunch few still believe!
> > would've been a man and Henry and Maurice would've been females.- Hide quoted text -

richt...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2007, 11:21:18 AM11/20/07
to Readers Anonymous
I will find you and dismember you! It was honest criticism attacking
the dimwit! I had no bone to pick with you, sir, but if you do bight
your thumb at me then very well I accept your challenge! Name your
weapon!

richt...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2007, 2:22:47 PM11/20/07
to Readers Anonymous
Very well, I accept your duel! Nuclear missles at dawn. I will end
you!

richt...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2007, 10:13:05 AM11/21/07
to Readers Anonymous
typical coward you call for nuclear missles and yet failed to show
up... typical run of the mill bastard. I know your type all talk but
not enough sand to be able to make it through with your proposal.
You're the sort that would be hog tied for Christmas and still believe
that you bested the beast. Your head is full of Hitler's mustaches
and your soul beats to the sound of big Mama Cass.... perhaps it would
be best, you hippie, if you declined your way back to whichever sonata
it was that you climbed out from underneath and never visit this
website ever again! You curr...

Megan....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2007, 1:45:04 PM11/22/07
to Readers Anonymous
well... i think she's being a "bitch and a fake" to herself. she knows
what she really wants, but she has to rationalize it. she's
continually trying to earn her belief in God and rationalize her
distance from Maurice. she's bargaining, cheating, lying to get away
from her beliefs in love and God. and then she turns around and does
the same thing to gain those beliefs. if she would stop being a bitch
and fake to herself and do what she really wanted (which seems to be
leaving henry to be with maurice and becoming a catholic) she'd be
happy. or, at least, she'd get what she wanted... and i think she's
being fake to herself b/c she's afraid of the consequences of
potential unhappiness.

henry is infuriatingly good. he's definitely an alterego to maurice,
who substitutes routine for being good. in all other ways, he's very
bad to himself. henry takes care of himself, is 100% truthful and
consequently, incredibly blind. he's blind to sarah in entirety.
maurice, who lies and sneaks and bargains is hyper-aware. but, he's so
aware that even though he sees sarah for sarah, he's blinded to her
ultimate faithfulness and love.

it appears to be an unhappy trio from the start... everyone sees
through their own eyes and never through the other's eyes. maurice is
proactive in trying to see what was on sarah's mind by hiring
parkis... but he still cant see the whole her - he cant see that she
believes in God, even though all the evidence is handed to him in that
diary. she'd have to spell it out in order for him to see it.

it's rather to everyone's advantage that she dies.

richt...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2007, 9:23:29 AM11/27/07
to Readers Anonymous
Nice, I thought it was interesting that she dies too. In short
stories and in short novels it always seems like a cop out or a quick
way of neatly finishing something up. In this case it was convenient
she died however if she wouldn't of I don't think that the book
would've ended. Sarah is the sort of person that is doomed to keep
repeating all of her mistakes. The addition of her faith was an
interesting concept but ultimately I don't think that it would've
changed her life. She would continue to rationalize things for the
rest of her life and her new found extreme faith wouldn't have much of
a deterant for her. It most likely wouldn't have been an inabler but
it would allow her to get the self abusing satisfaction she needed at
the end of some other affair.

Henry on the other hand isn't really... good. He's asexual, a work
driven person whose only real motivation seems to be superficialness.
He and Sarah still provide an interesting match as her raw sexuality
does not seem to gibe with how she and Maurice would've "hooked up".
Perhaps it is something that Sarah had left over from her mother and a
need to gain similar financial wealth. If that is the case maybe
Sarah really is a "bitch and a fake"