3x3x3 speedcubes

Siva Shanmukh Vetcha

Aug 23, 2011, 1:37:43 AM8/23/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

It has been a while since the last time I cubed and quite some new stuff are in the cubing world(of-course).

I recently saw a Guhong in the Bangalore Funskool Competition. It is really awesome and this probably is an understatement. I had immediately put some research on Guhong and found its sisters, Lunhui and Zanchi. They are structurally very different compared to the traditional cubes and among themselves too. There are variants in those too. With / Without torpedoes, With / Without Lubix giving 12 possible combos. I might be missing out on other good cubes in which case please add to the list.

I wish to get one/two good speedcubes for myself and would need some suggestion from someone who already had put research into this or is having one or more of these. I am sure about taking Lubix. Help me with deciding whether to get torpedoes or not and what the order of preference should be.

Also I am planning to get Lubix, a diy cube (Guhong/Zanchi/Lunhui) and torpedoes(if suggested that is) and make it on my own. If you think that is a bad idea. Please let me know.

Shanmukh.

Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

prashant swarnkar

Aug 23, 2011, 6:33:29 AM8/23/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
get a normal Guhong.... its best

Prashant Swarnkar
Electronics and Communication Engineering,
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, nagpur

GopiCharan

Aug 23, 2011, 1:42:45 PM8/23/11
to SpeedcubingIndia
Guhong is just fine. I have the colored one. I use Lubix for all of my
cubes, and works surprisingly well with the Guhong. The torpedoes are
basically for making the cube pop resistant. if you set the tension of
the cube a bit tight then the torpedoes may not be required.

BTW did you put up a video on youtube of your solve?

-Gopi

Rakhim ebrams

Aug 23, 2011, 9:35:12 PM8/23/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
hi Mr.gopi!!!  yeah,, set the tension a bit and no popping... like i started learning the f2ls.. thanks for the advice you gave me!!....

by the way, planning to get another cube soon, you think i should stick with maru or get another one???

Siva Shanmukh Vetcha

Aug 24, 2011, 1:13:16 AM8/24/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
And yea.. Maru is another one? Does Guhong win over Maru too?

Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Siva Shanmukh Vetcha

Aug 24, 2011, 1:43:40 AM8/24/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
Colored one is not allowed for WCA, right.. And which shop do you suggest to buy these from. I wish to get one colored guhong and a white cube(guhong/maru whichever is better) What say? And a vial of lubix. (2 cc thing would do, right?)

Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Rakhim ebrams

Aug 24, 2011, 9:52:12 AM8/24/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
i use maru lube,, and i think maru is good,,, but cant cut corners much,, but its fast...!!!
i ordered miine online!

GopiCharan

Aug 24, 2011, 10:03:53 AM8/24/11
to SpeedcubingIndia
@Rakhim: Your cube was also very good and as your average is a bit
higher, I would suggest you to stick to Maru for the moment. I have
observed that when I use different cubes there is only 5-10 seconds
difference,like when I am using my Guhong I average about 43-47s and
when I use Funskool I average 50-55s or may be that just in my case.
If you really want a new cube then go for a Guhong + Lubix.

@Shanmukh: Yes.. Colored ones are not allowed. I usually buy it from
www.lightake.com. Its located in China, prices are good + free
shipping, you can get most brands of the cube's from that site. And
yea, you can get Guhong and 2cc Lubix. I have lubricated about 12
cubes till now and still half is remaining!! :P .

On Aug 24, 10:43 am, Siva Shanmukh Vetcha <siva.shanm...@gmail.com>

Baranidharan Mohan

Aug 24, 2011, 10:12:35 AM8/24/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
Is lubix better than the standard cyclo silicone spray ? I use the silicone spray to lube my cubes , lubed around 25 of them .. Works pretty fine ..
I use a ghost hand cube from lightake , it is works well with me except for cutting corners ? should i get a guhong ?

Cheers ,
Baranidharan Mohan
Sophomore year
Engineering Physics
IIT Delhi .

Siva Shanmukh Vetcha

Aug 25, 2011, 2:34:08 AM8/25/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
@Gopi

Where did you get a lubix 2cc from? I couldn't find it on lightake or dealextreme.

Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

GopiCharan

Aug 25, 2011, 5:16:24 AM8/25/11
to SpeedcubingIndia
I got it from http://www.lubixcube.com/ , the official website .

By the way, Bangalore Challenge results are announced.. I came
20th :P

http://worldcubeassociation.org/results/competition.php?competitionId=BangaloreOpen2011

On Aug 25, 11:34 am, Siva Shanmukh Vetcha <siva.shanm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> @Gopi
>
> Where did you get a lubix 2cc from? I couldn't find it on lightake or
> dealextreme.
>
> Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Rakhim ebrams

Aug 25, 2011, 8:25:02 AM8/25/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
WOWOW nice mr gopi!!! i am 30th!! hahaha never thought... mr gopi,, you know i loosened my cube and i am able to cut corners without it popping.!!

Rajat Dwaraknath

Aug 25, 2011, 9:03:06 AM8/25/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys!!
Nice to see i am in top 10!!!
Im 7th place!!! yay
Best solve 20 secs is nice.

Anyways to the topic -
Whats up with all the new names like Guhong and Lubix?
Is lubix like better than silicon spray?
And alot of talk is going on about cutting corners, I have a huge prob with cutting corners !
Anyone one of these things help in cutting corners?

If yes, i would prefer some details as well.

Thanks!!!

Cheerz

Rajat

Rakhim ebrams

Aug 25, 2011, 9:22:28 AM8/25/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
i have maru, and i did a stupid thing of tightening it... i coudnt cut corners with it.. but now i loosened it ad it cuts beautifully without popping.. what cube you using????????? congrats on 7th place!!!!

Rajat Dwaraknath

Aug 25, 2011, 9:28:30 AM8/25/11
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
Thanks alot!
Im actually using a rubik's original. It's 2 years old!! Its got new stickers and its extremely smooth. No friction probs at all, but corner cutting is the biggest prob. I have a DIY which i didnt bother stickering because after assembling it wasnt as good as my original. I guess i was lucky with my original as i have seen many DIY's and felt them too and not found much difference.

I just saw a few reviews on the Guhong. I saw it cuts impossible corners. So im mostly going to go with it. Now about the lubix.....

Cheerz

Rajat