doubt in f2l

aradhyaprateek

May 8, 2012, 9:16:27 AM5/8/12
to SpeedcubingIndia
I have been cubing since one year my avg time is 35-40sec I can
complete first two layers in 25sec
and it is the problem paining me
I have a doubt in f2l
looking ahead, i have read in many websites and seen many vedios that
while solving a pair we should look for the next pair here my doubt
arises before solving a pair i will stop a sec and i will look for the
corner piece on the face side nd if it is not there i will look at the
top and after finding it i will solve the pair while solving it i
will see for the edge that means i will look ahead only the edge and
waste 1-2 sec in seeing the corner, is my method correct or not? is it
possible to see the corner and edge without stopping a sec while
solving the pair

I dont have the habit of changing
the directions while solving i.e., applying y or y' i will simply use
the f and f' and it is slowing down me is it ok or i have to change
my usage

I have been frustrated with f2l
looking ahead any body please help me
out

Siva Shanmukh Vetcha

May 8, 2012, 9:19:51 AM5/8/12
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com
Use metronome application. Make a turn for each beat. Set the speed to something so that you don't have to stop at all. Just practice with it and it will give good results.

Not sent from my iPhone or my Blackberry or anyone else's

Girish Ganesan

May 9, 2012, 11:31:32 AM5/9/12
to speedcub...@googlegroups.com

See there seems to be no problem in what you're doing, only how you do it. You're locking yourself to one particular edge/corner, instead of inserting one particular (premeditated) pair look for ANY other edge/corner and with that try to find it's pair. It works much faster that way. Better than fixing yourself to one pair.
Say for example you're inserting the blue-orange pair, you've already noticed a blue-red corner hanging out in the green-red corner's place, DONT go for this, instead the moment you make the blue-orange insert, you'll find an unpaired edge or corner, try matching that, if you're lucky, it might actually be the green-red pair which on inserting you'll push out the blue-red corner on which you can work immediately.
The F2L is basically instinct, the concept of "look ahead" or "multi slotting" simply is a way of expressing it. Just keep practising :)
Good luck, happy cubing :)