How to get out of full screen mode?

Sue

Jan 11, 2011, 7:02:38 PM1/11/11
to speedcrunch
Hi all,

I downloaded Speedcrunch yesterday, and when exploring all the various
options I ticked full screen mode, and now I can't get out of it!

Esc does nothing, and nor does ctrl-esc. Eventually yesterday I quit
the application and then deleted it from my Applications folder.

Then tonight, after several shut downs of the whole computer for
various other reasons, I downloaded Speedcrunch again, hoping for a
fresh start, but I was dismayed when it opened up straightaway in full
screen mode again!

What can I do? I don't want full screen mode at all.

Sue

Helder Correia

Jan 11, 2011, 7:18:04 PM1/11/11
to speed...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 16:02, Sue <sue.a...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> What can I do?  I don't want full screen mode at all.

Hi, Sue

I understand you're on OS X? The assigned shortcut for toggling full
screen mode is F11, which might collide with the Expose shortcut. The
solution is to change it in the System Preferences to something else,
switch to SpeedCrunch and press F11, then change Expose back to F11
(if you want to). Does that work for you?

The shortcut should probably be changed to Ctrl-Shift-F or something
along those lines.

Helder

Santiago Tabares

Jan 11, 2011, 7:18:25 PM1/11/11
to speedcrunch
The menu should still be visible, so you just need to untick Full
Screen Mode under the View menu. Alternatively just press F11.

Cheers,
-- Santiago

Helder Correia

Jan 11, 2011, 7:26:40 PM1/11/11
to speed...@googlegroups.com, Alessandro
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 16:18, Santiago Tabares
<santiago...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The menu should still be visible, so you just need to untick Full
> Screen Mode under the View menu. Alternatively just press F11.

That's the whole problem on Mac. For some reason, the menu is not
shown. Likely a bug in the Qt framework.

@Alessandro: any idea?

Sue Ahrens

Jan 11, 2011, 8:22:30 PM1/11/11
to speed...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much indeed, Helder - that did work.

I've only very recently switched to Mac after many years of Windows, and
still finding my feet with shortcuts etc, so can I ask, please: is F11
the assigned shortcut for toggling full screen mode for all
applications, or is that just for SpeedCrunch?

Sue

Helder Correia

Jan 11, 2011, 8:36:15 PM1/11/11
to speed...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 17:22, Sue Ahrens <sue.a...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much indeed, Helder - that did work.

Great to here.

> is F11 the assigned shortcut for toggling full screen mode for all applications

It's just the key that was assigned to the feature when it was added.
There's no convention whatsoever. I'm a recent OS X myself and I don't
recall seeing F11 being used for anything else other than Expose.
That's why I think we should change it.

Sue Ahrens

Jan 11, 2011, 9:11:29 PM1/11/11
to speed...@googlegroups.com
On 12/01/2011 01:36, Helder Correia wrote:
> That's why I think we should change it.
Probably a good idea!

Thanks for all your help.
Sue

Frederic Da Vitoria

Jan 12, 2011, 4:10:37 AM1/12/11
to speed...@googlegroups.com
2011/1/12 Helder Correia <helder.pere...@gmail.com>

I don't know anything about OS X, but under Windows, many browsers (including Internet Explorer but more interestingly Firefox) use F11 for full screen http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/keyboard%20shortcuts and I am guessing these shortcuts work for all OS. OTOH, Apple seems to use F3 combinations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expos%C3%A9_%28Mac_OS_X%29 My conclusion would be that the key combinations should be OS-dependent (chosen at install)

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)