Red Mars - any good?

Rachel Glegg

Nov 29, 2013, 11:44:38 AM11/29/13
to Speculative Fiction Brighton
Have any of you read Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson?

A friend was talking enthusiastically about it last week (having just finished it) so I added it to my reading list; I'm just getting round to looking into what it's about and I'm undecided about giving it a go.

Reviews online from other SF fans seem to suggest the story is quite dry and serious, to the point that readers found themselves being simultaneously fascinated and bored (I don't want to be bored!)

So if you've encountered this book before, I'd love your opinion.

What's everyone else reading right now? I'm just coming into the last quarter of Cherie Priest's Boneshaker, which was doing the rounds amongst SFB last year - very enjoyable so far.

Rachel

Rachel Glegg

Dec 7, 2013, 7:31:49 PM12/7/13
to Speculative Fiction Brighton
Has this group been abandoned, or what? :(

Paul Hayes

Dec 7, 2013, 7:45:51 PM12/7/13
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com

I've been reading awful awful cheap old paperbacks.

Never read Red Mars though, hard sf from what I heard.

Pete Hobson

Dec 9, 2013, 4:56:52 AM12/9/13
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com

Ooh. I've read  red mars.  I loved it,  a very human story interwoven with very believable tech.  The second one became far more political and by the third I found it all a bit depressing and gave up.  Although this could just be a symptom of how badly we as humans would handle the actual situation. So strong YMMV.

Rachel Glegg

Dec 9, 2013, 6:04:30 PM12/9/13
to Speculative Fiction Brighton
Awesome - that sounds right up my street, the way you describe it.

I'll keep it on my wish-list then, and at least give the first book a go. Got a couple of others lined up ahead of it!

PS. Paul - THE GROUP IS NOT DEAD!! Stay alive, whatever may occur...