Other films

Paul Hayes

Jul 1, 2014, 5:07:27 PM7/1/14
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com
These are the films I've been meaning to watch. Which ones have people seen? Would any of you be interested in joining me for a skype viewing of one of these?

The Signal 2007
Pulse 2001
The Signal 2014
Stalker 1979
Timecrimes 2007

Rachel Glegg

Jul 1, 2014, 7:02:19 PM7/1/14
to Speculative Fiction Brighton
I haven't seen any of these... Stalker (1979) has been on my "to watch" list ever since reading Roadside Picnic, so I'd love to see that one... I'm watching the trailers for the others, and The Signal (2014) in particular looks really awesome (can't for the life of me work out what it's actually about, from watching the trailer, but somehow I still really want to see it?!)

So, when we talk about simultaneously watching a movie... how are we dealing with the fact that we're now split between two time zones, eight hours apart? :D

We could try fix something up on a weekend (say, an 11:00am start time in England, and 7:00pm on the US west coast), but as I often leave the house at around 5:00am on a Sunday to go hiking (and then don't get back home until bedtime), I tend to go to bed super-early on a Saturday night, more often than not. (That's kinda depressing, now I think about it - Saturday nights I used to be still up at 5:00am!!)

The alternative is to do it book-club style: choose a film, and a period of time in which everyone should watch it, and we can then review it / chat about it in a mailing list thread after the 'deadline'.

(We should still utilize Skype anyway, though, for video calls and real-time group chat. I am rachel.dorman on Skype; add me!)

James Burt

Jul 4, 2014, 12:54:46 PM7/4/14
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com
I would *love* to see Stalker. I've got a projector and a big blank wall if anyone fancies coming to Hove to see that?

Paul Hayes

Jul 4, 2014, 1:37:21 PM7/4/14
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com

I'll take you up on that offer!

Paul Hayes

Jul 4, 2014, 1:40:21 PM7/4/14
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com

Youre probably right. I like the book club idea. Give people a week to watch it before discussing. I vote Stalker for next week. :)

Rachel Glegg

Jul 4, 2014, 8:31:53 PM7/4/14
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com
Cool; I'll get Dan to see about getting hold of a copy of Stalker :)

Since Tuesdays were traditional SFB meet-up night, do you want to also make that the 'deadline' (that can't be the right word in this context, but you know what I mean) for anyone who's interested to watch the film, and we can then start a chat thread to talk about it? (Tuesday 15 July)

Rachel Glegg

Jul 14, 2014, 5:00:59 PM7/14/14
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com
Ack. We've run into problems getting hold of a copy of Stalker with English subtitles...

Paul Hayes

Jul 14, 2014, 5:04:57 PM7/14/14
to speculative-fi...@googlegroups.com

Surely not. This is 2014!