Noise level

Darrin Landry

Sep 1, 2015, 9:07:11 PM9/1/15
to spectralis...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone happen to know the noise level (in decibels) that the Spectralis produces? We have 3, and there is a definite difference in sound intensity. Short of bringing a sound level meter in, thought I'd try here first.

Thanks

Darrin Landry, CRA, OCT-C

Sent from my iPhone

Stephen Travers

Sep 1, 2015, 9:21:34 PM9/1/15
to spectralis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Darrin- What Noise ?

As you say there can be a significant difference in the sound level from different units. Typically the newer models are much quieter than older models. It is difficult to provide absolute db. levels as measurement is dependent upon many factors such as where the measurement is taken from in the instrument, the room acoustics and the ambient noise level.

Hope this helps

Stephen Travers
Manager Clinical Affairs
Heidelberg Engineering,Inc
1808 Aston Ave | Suite 130 | Carlsbad, CA |  92008

Tel:         760-536-7000800-931-2230
Fax:        760-536-7100
Mobile:    817-716-2699
Email: stra...@heidelbergengineering.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Spectralis/HD OCT User Group" group.

Darrin Landry

Sep 1, 2015, 9:41:00 PM9/1/15
to spectralis...@googlegroups.com
I actually was able to measure with a meter, and 2 of our Spectralis’ read at 65dB, and the other is at 78dB. After 8 years of using these, I swear my hearing has decreased. An occupational therapist friend was asking about noise levels in the camera room. It’s either that, or I’m getting older (pretty sure that’s not it)

thanks

Darrin

Darrin Landry, CRA. OCT-C
Ophthalmic Consultant
Bryson Taylor Inc.
www.brysontaylorpublishing.com

Stuart Alfred

Sep 1, 2015, 10:01:09 PM9/1/15
to spectralis...@googlegroups.com

I have a decibel  meter app on my phone.  I can let you know about 8am est.

Bartsch, Dirk

Sep 1, 2015, 10:43:19 PM9/1/15
to spectralis...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I was making the joke about “What noise level? I don’t hear anything” to some of our photographers YEARS ago (not current staff). They did not think that I was being funny and immediately called the UCSD OSHA guys. They came out and measured the sound level and found it to be safe for day-long exposure. They did acknowledge that the fact that it was a mono-frequency had an annoyance level to it, but it is safe.
Now, that being said, there is a possibility to create “standing waves” in a room where reflections of smooth surfaces (eggshell paint or glossy paint, linoleum floor) can cause these standing waves. We had a patient who was an acoustical engineer and he recommended that we break up the sound reflections with sound tiles placed on the wall. Other observations. Small rooms seem to make the sound appear louder, as do the above mentioned smooth surfaces on floor, wall and ceiling.

You can download sound metering apps for your ipad, iPhone, Android. While they are not calibrated, they give a pretty good first estimate of the sound levels.

Best of luck,
Dirk-Uwe

Sandor Ferenczy

Sep 2, 2015, 6:50:25 AM9/2/15
to spectralis...@googlegroups.com
OSHA seems to permit 8 hours exposure to anything under 85 dB, depending on the octave & frequency

honestly, i find the fan noise of some of our machines far more tiring than the squeal of the Spectralis. it is a wonderful "silence" on the occasions that we shut down all of the computers & cameras in the lab.

-sandor

Darrin Landry

Sep 2, 2015, 7:06:10 AM9/2/15
to spectralis...@googlegroups.com
Sandor
I agree- the best sound of the day is when I shut down the 3 Spectralis', fundus cameras and 5 PCs and just enjoy the sound of silence for a few minutes.

Darrin Landry, CRA, OCT-C
Bryson Taylor Inc

Sent from my iPhone