.smset files not shown in the GUI & how to use sminspector

kim...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2018, 5:57:11 AM3/25/18
to SpectMorph
I made some soundsets from wavs in the instrument directory, but they are not shown on the GUI dropdown lists?

It's the 0.3.4 DEB from the website, I'm using Ubuntu 17.1 with Bitwig 2.3.2.

I tried with smplay, the models play fine.

Also, how do I specify the directory for sminspector?

Now I have it like this in the beginning of the file: smset_dir "spectmorph/instruments/standard"

But I get:
inotify_add_watch("/home/kim/.config/ibus/bus/3d864203e4d94a5494bb526a4faf3063-unix-0") failed: "No space left on device"
sminspector: can't open input file: ./spectmorph/instruments/standard/ugri.smset: No such file, device or directory

Stefan Westerfeld

Mar 25, 2018, 10:41:23 AM3/25/18
to kim...@gmail.com, SpectMorph
Hi!

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 02:57:11AM -0700, kim...@gmail.com wrote:
> I made some soundsets from wavs in the instrument directory, but they are not
> shown on the GUI dropdown lists?
>
> It's the 0.3.4 DEB from the website, I'm using Ubuntu 17.1 with Bitwig 2.3.2.
>
> I tried with smplay, the models play fine.
>
> Also, how do I specify the directory for sminspector?

You start sminspector with an instrument index file

sminspector ~/.spectmorph/instruments/standard/index.smindex

and then it will pick up the instrument directory from that file.

> Now I have it like this in the beginning of the file: smset_dir "spectmorph/
> instruments/standard"

Ok: as you already figured out, the list of instruments is usally specified
in an instrument index file, like "index.smindex".

I'd recommend leaving smset_dir alone, usually it is configured like this:

smset_dir "."

which means to look for instruments in the same directory as the smindex file.
So to add a new instrument, "foo.smset" to the list of available instruments,
you would add

smset "foo.smset"

to the other instruments already in the smindex file. Usually the file you
add instruments to would be ~/.spectmorph/instruments/standard/index.smindex

You can then copy your new instrument "foo.smset" to
~/.specmorph/instruments/standard and it should be picked up by the UI.

> But I get:
> inotify_add_watch("/home/kim/.config/ibus/bus/
> 3d864203e4d94a5494bb526a4faf3063-unix-0") failed: "No space left on device"
> sminspector: can't open input file: ./spectmorph/instruments/standard/
> ugri.smset: No such file, device or directory

Right. This is probably because sminspector is looking for that instrument
relative to the path the smindex file was stored in.

Cu... Stefan
--
Stefan Westerfeld, http://space.twc.de/~stefan